Friday, May 24, 2019

5/24/19 Report - Beach Conditions and Observations. Wreck of the Clotilda Found. Another Bottle Find.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Beach Early Friday Morning.

I checked out a few beaches this morning.  As you can see, John Brooks had a little recent erosion, but had filled in a little again since the erosion.


John Brooks Beach This Morning.
I did a quick check, maybe about thirty minutes and found a few crusty modern coins.  Nothing interesting.



Frederick Douglass Beach Friday Morning.
Frederick Douglass beach also had some small cuts, but less than John Brooks.


Blind Creek Friday Morning.
Blind Creek had no cuts.  The only detectorist I saw this morning was the nude detectorist of Blind Creek, if you didn't know better you might think that has something to do with the name of the beach.


Blind Creek Friday Morning.
I really didn't really look, but I know that was  no goody bag.  I don't know what he does with finds.


Fort Pierce South Jetty Friday Morning.
South Jetty Park had a little erosion but was pretty much covered with seaweed.

As you can see, seaweed was seen on every beach this morning.

There had been a little recent erosion on most of the beaches, but still they didn't look very good to me.  My quick check only turned up a few crusty clad coins.

The tides are flattening out now and the surf will be slowly decreasing for a few days.

My favorite find this morning was a plastic milk bottle carrier.  The last time I was at a store I thought about buying one, but I didn't like the price.  The plastic crates are good for storing bottles.

---


The remains of the last known ship to bring enslaved people to the United States have been found nearly 160 years after its illegal voyage from Africa to Alabama, state officials say...

In 1860, the Clotilda transported more than 100 people from Benin, Africa, to Mobile, Alabama, a voyage that took place 52 years after the United States banned importing new enslaved people...

The leaders of the Clotilda voyage, Timothy Meaher and Capt. William Foster, evaded authorities and destroyed the ship by burning it after their illegal trip, the state's historical commissions says...

Here is the link for more about that.


---

Here is another of my ink bottle finds.

Cone Carter's Ink Bottle. 

The bottom reads:  CARTER - MADE IN USA - NO 5.

The William Carter Company was founded in 1858 as an ink manufacturer, and became the world leaders in this field at the end of 1800. In the mid of 20s they entered the fountain pen market, that at the time was in its full development. But after the great depression of 1929, which caused a sharp reduction in the fountain pen market, the company decided to stop producing pens and mechanical pencils in the early 30's.

The pens produced by Carter were excellent quality, and they made in unusual colors much different than those of its competitors of that time. Because the short period of activity of the company, its pens are quite rare and quite sought by the collectors.

Carter cone bottles come in different colors. I have a brown one and have sold both brown and green.

I remember finding my first cone ink bottle - a brown CARTER'S cone that I sold.

The bottom of the brown one I still have is similar and reads:  CARTER'S - 1897 - MADE IN USA.

That one can be seen in my bottle barn web site.


---

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net