Thursday, May 23, 2019

5/23/19 Report - Less Known Treasure Coast Wrecks. More Sand Coming. Bottle Finds.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Three Frank Hudson Books.
After looking for one book in particular, I found a few that I hadn't seen in quite a while.  Among those that I found are the three Frank Hudson books.  It was one of those I was originally looking for.  I thought I better do this while I have them out.

At one time I compiled my own list of Florida sunken and buried treasures from all the sources I could find at the time.  That was before the internet became the place to look.  I also found my computer printout that lists the treasure sites.  The printout is about twelve feet long.

Maybe you can remember the days when computer printouts came on long rolls of paper with holes along both sides that were used by the printer to move the paper along.  Now you usually get the regular 8.5 by 11 sheets. 

Anyhow, if you look at books like the ones shown above, you might find some surprising omissions, but you'll most likely find some you never heard of before and maybe some you forgot about.

If you hunt the Treasure Coast, you probably know about the 1715 Fleet sites, but there might be other wrecks that you don't know so much about.

Here are a few examples from Hudson's Florida Shipwreck Treasures book.  

The Bark Nantwich (1696) off of Fort Pierce with $10,000 in gold.  Almost nothing compared to the treasure galleons, yet would make a nice find.

Maybe you know about the three 1565 galleons.  Hudson lists those.

The San Pedro and Pedro Menendez (both 16th century) off Cape Canaveral.

And there are the British ships Barkentine and Burrough listed as being around Jupiter Inlet.

Those are just a few examples of the many wrecks that are out there.  Of course Hudson's books do not give precise coordinates, so there is a lot left to do, however it never hurts to be familiar with what might be out there.  The point is that if you do your research you might find some new sites that you'll enjoy.  I did.

---

I received an email from DJ about the recent plans for more sand for the Vero Beaches.  He provided a link to an article from VeroNews that begins as follows:  The City of Vero Beach's eroded shoreline will be getting a major infusion og sand this fall - from the Tracking Station Park all the way to Castaway Cove - partially paid for by funds included in the $91.1 billion budget approved last week by the Florida Legislature.



DJ offered his opinions, which you migth well agree with. Here is what he said.


I have never been more aware of beach sand than the last two years while treasure hunting and studying the beaches as they erode then sand in.

I cannot remember a beach where I thought there was a lack of sand that negatively impacted the tourists and locals. Certainly not now.

I think this sand ‘crisis’ has been fabricated. Also interesting is the last several attempts were squashed by the feds and the Vero charter prohibits ‘using it’s own money for sand unless for emergency work’.

Just because an elected official says it is imperative and makes the beach better for tourism, business and world peace does not make it so. (The Emperor's new clothes) 

And the timing to miss sea turtle nesting (Which I support) will be just in time for the winter nor’easters to remove it all.

Maybe the feds will cut it out once again, or the Guv will veto it.

Anyway my unsolicited 2 cents. 

I'm sure you a lot of people will agree with you DJ.  Thanks!

---

I decided to store away some of my bottle finds and started with some of the more common ink bottles.

A Variety of Ink Bottle Finds.

All but three in this group are screw-top bottles.

Besides the Waterman's bottles that I've already shown, this group includes Parkers and Sanford ink bottles.  Several do not have a mark indicating the manufacturer.

Sanford Ink Bottle



Parkers Ink Bottle.

I have some ink bottles that are older and more interesting, including some cone bottles.  I've sold some of those in the past.  They sell easily.  I'll show some cone bottles in the future.

---

The surf will start increasing on the Treasure Coast today, reaching three to four feet by tomorrow, however the wind will still be from the south.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net