Friday, January 14, 2011

1/14/11 Report - Philip V Half Real Cob




Bon Steel Park Yesterday.

This photo was submitted by Ken A. who braved the cold yesterday. He said the sand was mushy.

It appears that the north wind that I mentioned yesterday did some work. The following cut was two to three feet high in most places along John Brooks park. There were very few signals of any kind this morning.

Sorry about my finger over the lens.

The sand from the cut at John Brooks was dragged down and formed a bar in front of the beach with a little dip in between. You might be able to see some of that behind my finger.

John Brooks Park This Morning.

The other beaches that I saw this morning didn't have much erosion. In fact two days ago I stopped at a spot that looked promising but I didn't detect it then because I wanted to go somewhere else first and figured I could come back later if the other spot wasn't any good. Well when I returned to that spot today, it had deteriorated since I had last been there. It was no good at all. I did detect one big deep object that I couldn't dig up. That's the way it goes. Things change day by day. When a beach looks good one day, it might not be any good the next and vice versa.

Concerning the unrecovered deep object, I took note of its position and will attempt to recover it some other time if the sand erodes there. If I had gone after it when I was there the other day, I think I probably could have retrieved it.

John Brooks is the only beach that I saw today that had improved, but I'm sure there are others.

Bon Steel doesn't look real good but it is showing a little erosion.


Yesterday I posted a photo of a half reale that was found on a 1715 Fleet beach. I think it is probably a Philip V cob. Here is a picture of a Philip V Mexican Half Reale presentation piece that shows much more of the half reale's design.

1705 Mexican Half Reale Presentation Piece.

The mint mark is not visible on the coin that I showed yesterday, but you can see the compound curve of the S, and the end of the S that is a bit out of shape, the dot below the P, and the fleur-de-lis below and to the right of the P.

I think the design of the presentation piece appears to be very similar to the cob that I showed yesterday except much more of the design is clearly visible.

After comparing, it appears to me that yesterday's cob could well be from the reign of Philip V.

After Charles, Philip V reigned from 1700-1724. If the cob is from a 1715 wreck, as I believe it is, I would guess that the date would be between 1700 and 1715.

I think half reales are interesting. Often much of the design is missing and you have to study a bit before you can identify a cob like that.


Forecast.

As I mentioned there is a little new erosion out there, but there are also places that have deteriorated.

The wind is from the northeast but the seas are expected to decrease for the next few days. As a result, I am not expecting any improvement for a while.

You might be able to find a spot or two that still holds something.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net