Monday, June 27, 2011

6/27/11 Report - Cloudy Day at the Beach



Salvage Boat Arriving On Wreck Site This Morning.

As you can see from the photo, it was cloudy this morning on the Treasure Coast. Nonetheless, salvage crews were getting ready to go to work.


Subsurface radar is being used a lot by archaeologists today. Here is a little video that provides shows some basic information on subsurface radar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA_lq9eRxpk&NR=1


Not too long ago I showed an old plank that had been riddled by Toredo worms.

Here is the link if you want to learn more about the Toredo Worm and attempts to avoid the damage that they caused to sailing ships.

Toredo Worm and Damaged Wood.

And here is a link to an article about the Toredo Worms and how they tried to deal with the little monsters in the days of sailing ships.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Teredo-The-Terrible-Shipworm


I posted a photo of a silver disk from the Power Plant Wreck not too long ago. Trez found the original source of the image for me.
It was a book by Alan Craig and Ernest Richards Jr., Spanish Treasure Bars From New World Shipwrecks, Vol. 1, 2003.

Thanks for the research Trez!


A cache of wine was recovered from a Civil War blockade runner that sunk in the Bahamas. Here is that link to that story.

http://bermudasun.bm/main.asp?SectionID=24&SubSectionID=270&ArticleID=52765



Treasure Coast Beach Forecast and Conditions.


It was cloudy this morning. Maybe we'll get rain again this afternoon.

If you look at the back dunes after a good rain, sometimes you'll see that sand has washed down onto the beach. It can be worth checking both where the sand was removed and the material that falls down on the beach.

I've found old items on slabs of sand that fell down the face of the cliff.

I was digging more iron from one of those broad flat beaches again this morning. At least one broken piece of iron spike was found.

There seems to be no end to that stuff. If I was as ambitious as I was in the old days, I would stay until it was cleaned out. I just am not that fanatical about it anymore.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I was impressed again this morning about the usefulness of looking for any sign of rust while digging iron near the water level. It sures helps you to quickly identify the exact location of the object, prevents excessive digging, and prevents damaging the object.

The wind is still from the south and the seas calm with no prospects for a significant change to beach conditions. More of the same.

I think that is it for today.

I feel like I'm forgetting to mention some things, but will get back to whatever it is some other time.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net