Tuesday, June 28, 2011

6/28/11 Report - Spanish Missions & Loose Change



Map Showing Location of Spanish Missions in Florida.

This map appeared in the 2006 Master's thesis of Alissa Slade.

Here is the link if you want to read the thesis.

http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses_1/available/etd-11142006-180114/unrestricted/Final.pdf

Notice the marked shipping route back to St. Augustine.



You probably know that I especially like "first finds." They tend to move a person to the next level somehow.

Steve sent me an email yesterday telling about his first gold find. Here is what he said.

Arrived in Port St. Lucie yesterday and pulled out the Exal 2 today. Then,
following your suggestion, checked out a beach that doesn't appear to be
detected very often. I've found coins there before and have never seen
anyone hunting it. This time I decided to get in the water since it was so
calm. Found a dime right off and then two sinkers. Then I got a sweet low
tone and pulled out a gold ladies ring, 10k only, with a load of tiny
stones on top that are probably crystal. But at least I've finally got
gold.


Congratulations Steve!


A 1740s Spanish mission was discovered in Escambia County.

Here is that link.

http://www.northescambia.com/?p=58928


Many beach hunters only hunt beaches. Of course that is OK, and there are many reasons that make beach hunting a good choice. Unless it is a state park or something, you don't have to ask permission, and sifting sand is easier than pinpointing and removing coins from hard earth. However, if you restrict yourself to beaches, that is very limiting. I recommend expanding your field and your experience in as many ways as you can.

There are land sites that are worth hunting. Old Spanish treasure coins are sometimes found on land. You might know of the Bulldozer Hoard. I've talked about it before. It was found when a bulldozer was moving earth for the construction of the Wal-Mart in Sebastian.

As you know, if you run across something important like the Spanish mission, though, you should immediately contact the State archaeologist.

But my point is that there are places where you can find old treasures besides the beach. And I like a little variety.

It pays to be alert to all kinds of opportunities.

Recently I was driving down US 1 and noticed a side road where a vacant lot was jammed with cars. I'd never noticed that before, so decided to check it out when I got the chance. What I found is that a new church had been built and they were using the old vacant lot across the street as a parking lot. I didn't spend much time detecting there, but it goes to show how you need to keep your eyes open and how you can suddenly find a new detecting site. I know it was nothing exciting, but I like to explore and it helps me sharpen some of my less used detecting techniques.

When I lived down south I lived near two sites where carnivals were held every year. I'd be the first to detect those sites after the carnival pulled out. I always found a good amount of change. Nothing spectacular, but it was enjoyable. There was always a lot of change, and most of it was laying right on top of the ground, maybe under a little grass or dust, but no real digging was required.

I would get out my old Tesoro Royal Sabre and have a fun time picking up coins for a few hours. Sometimes it seemed like rolls of coins were spilled in one spot. Like I said, nothing real interesting, but fun and profitable.

On a similar note, the northern end of A1A on South Hutchinson Island immediately south of the Fort Pierce inlet has been dug up for the last few weeks. It seems they are putting in new pipes. It might be worth checking some day. Maybe something old will be brought to the surface. I'm sure there will be a lot of junk, so you might select a different detector than what you would use on the beach. A target ID might be good there.


Odyssey Marine was added to Russell 3000. By the timing I would guess that getting on the index is the reason they issued those millions of new shares. I didn't know why they issued all of those new shares. That might be the reason.

Being on the index will give them greater visibility.

Here is that link.

http://www.shipwreck.net/pr227.php


Treasure Coast Beach Forecast and Conditions.


Same old, same old. No change in conditions again. And no changes imminent.

The only news here is that a low pressure zone has formed near Mexico in the southern Gulf. It has a fifty percent chance of forming into a cyclone but probably won't affect beach conditions much, but it is helping to bring us some moisture and rain.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net