Monday, February 8, 2016

2/8/16 Report - Nicely Marked and Monogrammed Silver Tag or Label Find.

.

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treaurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Marked Silver Found by Dan B.
Dan B. found this monogrammed silver label or tag.  The monogram seems to me to be "FMH."  Maybe that is it.

This is a very good example of marked silver.  Nice find Dan!

Notice also the marks to the left of that.  I think the top mark (HP??) is the makers mark.


Closer View of Marks.
It should not be too difficult to identify the makers mark.  There are comprehensive lists of silver makers marks.

The one mark that I am fairly confident about is the lion.  The walking lion indicates that the silver is sterling (.925 pure).

I can't really make out the mark on the right.  The "n" could be the date letter.  Letters indicate a specific date.  The font or style of the letter is important.  There are letter sequences in different styles.

I am assuming that this is British silver.  I'm not absolutely sure of that.

Maybe someone who has studies silver marks or has more time to research it can help Dan.  Let me know if you can add information.

Here is one good source for looking up silver marks.

http://www.925-1000.com/

The tag seems to be over an inch long.  I wonder if it might be a label for a wine bottle.  It seems to be about the right size and shape, but I don't see where it might be attached to a chain, and many quality wine labels are more ornate.

What do you think?

Here is one web site where you can view antique silver wine labels.

http://www.steppeshillfarmantiques.com/silver-and-porcelain/silver/wine-sauce-labels

---

That is a nice instructive example of marked silver.  If you haven't investigated something like that before, this will provide a good exercise.  Look into the web sites and try to figure out the marks.

I have a couple other posts that I'm working on, but they aren't ready yet.  I'll therefore leave that for some other day.

Please let me know if you figure out some of these marks or can figure out what the item might be.

I also suggest you take a look at yesterday's post if you haven't already, and send me your thoughts on the citizen archaeology permit proposed legislation.  Also, express your feelings to your representatives.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net