Sunday, March 20, 2016

3/20/16 Report - Tiny Viking Pendant Found By Detectorist May Rewrite History. Emails From Readers.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Small Viking Pendant Found By Detectorist.
NEWSER) – Denmark's Dennis Fabricius Holm got off work early on March 11 and decided to go for a stroll with his metal detector near the town of Aunslev. "Suddenly I hit upon something," he tells national broadcaster DR, per the Local. "Ever since I turned over the clump of earth and saw the cross, I've been unable to think of anything else." Holm had indeed made "an absolutely sensational discovery," says archaeologist Malene Beck of the Ostfyns Museum. The 1.5-inch-tall pendant, complete with gold threads and filigree pellets, features the image of an open-armed man and is almost identical to a silver crucifix found in Sweden, visible here. A release speculates it was worn by a Viking woman. The Independentcalls it "one of the most well preserved Christian artifacts found in Denmark," but its date, AD900 to AD950, is what most intrigues experts.

This tiny Viking pendant found by a deteector hobbyist could rewrite history

Here is the link for the article that will tell you how..

http://www.newser.com/story/222257/this-tiny-viking-pendant-could-rewrite-history.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=foxnews&utm_campaign=rss_science_syn

---

Robert H. wanted to clarify about the ring that came up like a penny on the CTX.  He added the following.

The sound came up like a penny on the CTX with that gold ring yesterday but a different number meaning the CTX is pretty accurate when it comes to determining targets. I knew it was going to be something different other than a penny because of the odd number on the ID. If it were the same number as the penny comes up I would have passed it knowing I didn't skip more than a penny. 

---

In response to my post on why I dig pennies, Bill P. wrote to say, Copper pennies have close to 2 cents worth of copper in them too, 1982 and older I believe...95% copper. 

That is another good reason.  I always heard that if you watch the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves.  I believe that is true, but it is also a broader statement about taking care of details.  I certainly do understand that if you are hunting modern stuff on a beach where there is a lot of competition, you might need the advantage of  trying to cherry pick the higher value targets.  .  

There are additional reasons I didn't mention.  One is that I can't see detecting the same targets time after time when I visit the same locations.  That won't happen if you are in an area where a lot of people detect, but I don't do that much either.  I tend to find my own holes.   That was my specialty when I was hunting modern stuff.  Believe it or not there are still very productive holes that are in places that are almost never detected.  

Also if I detect an area frequently, I prefer to clean it up.  There is a bit of a environmentalist element to it.  I don't like to leave beaches or other areas littered, and I like the idea of recycling copper,  aluminum or whatever can be recycled.

---


P. Bishop wrote and said, After reading your article on 3-15-16, I decided to check some of the targets that nulled ( I was hunting in discriminate mode ) out on my detector. This is what I found when I checked one of the targets, after minimal cleaning, a fully functional lock blade knife. Thanks.


Knife Found By P. Bishop
Photo by P. Bishop.
There are many types of items that will never be correctly identified by a detector unless you dig it up.  This is just  one example.  The artifacts I showed yesterday are other examples.

---

IT looks like we'll have something around a two-foot surf on the Treasure Coast for several days.  

I hope to get out on the beach again someday soon.  Haven't been able to get out for a while.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net