Tuesday, March 29, 2016

3/29/16 Report - Report On A Recent Hunt and Some Of The Surface Finds.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

I like to eye-ball.  Sometimes I call it surface hunting.

For me, all hunting is first visual.  I look around and try to identify the best places to spend my time. Even while I detect, I use my eyes a lot, looking for clues that might tell the best places to hunt and looking for finds that might be partially or totally exposed.

Today I'm posting pictures of finds that were made during a recent surface hunt that lasted less than an hour.  I did not have a detector with me.  I saw that there might be the possibility of making some interesting surface finds so I decided to take a look.

Piece of Embossed Hutch Bottle Found Exposed
The first find that I found interesting was this piece of a Hutchinson bottle.  It is broke and not worth anything, but it told me that there might be more old things in the area.  It provided good information.

I can see part of the embossed label, which reads "Haller."  A little research will tell me more about the bottle and therefore possibly the site.

Here are two great web sites on Hutch bottles that you might want to check out.

http://www.hutchbook.com/Collecting%20Hutchinson%20Bottle%20Sales%20Guide/Default.htm

http://www.hutchbook.com/

Embossed Hutch bottles usually sell quickly.

The next find was the cork-top bottle shown below.

Cork-Top Bottle Find.
This bottle is in good condition but has no label or markings.  It confirmed that the area no only holds some old things, but that at least some of them have been exposed and are now available.

Next came this small cobalt blue cup.



The bottom reads, "THIS CUP HOLDS A HEAPING DESSERT SPOONFUL."

The cup is in good condition but was a bit puzzling.  A little research soon gave me the answer.





You see it on the top of the bottle in the picture.  It is a John Wyeth and Brothers Effervescent Sodium Phosphate bottle.

The bottom of the bottle is marked, "PAT MAY 16 1899."

I've seen many examples of the cup for sale for a few dollars - usually around five or six dollars.

The patent date suggests that the bottle is probably from the early 20th century, which also would be close to the time period for the Hutch bottle and the cork-top bottle.





Below is the link to the web site that provided the above picture.

http://www.bottlebooks.com/questions/august2001/august%202001%20questions.htm

Even though none of these finds are rare or valuable, they do suggest that the area is associated with early 20th century activities and items.

I didn't show all the things I picked up on this walk.  There were a lot of more recent items that I didn't bother to pick up.

Later I found what appears to me to be a brick made out of coral.  Although the brick (if that is what it is) is incomplete.

Here are the pictures of the item.  See if you think it is a brick.






I haven't learned anything about this item yet.  I'd really like to hear what you think.

And here is the last item I'll post from the outing.  What do you think it might be?

It has a key shaped opening between what appears to be two screw holes.



---

We have a calm surf today.  Very early the wind is from the west but turns north.

I'm watching the predictions for the first week in April.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net