Tuesday, October 10, 2017

10/10/17 Report - 1715 Fleet Eight-Escudo. How High Will It Go? Evaluating Metal Detecting Zones.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Lot  In Current Sedwick Treasure Auction # 22.
Source: auction.sedwickcoins.com
Here is the lot description.

Lima, Peru, cob 8 escudos, 1697H, "PVA" variety, very rare, encapsulated NGC MS 62, finest and only specimen in NGC census, from the 1715 Fleet (designated on label). S-L25; KM-26.2; CT-8. 26.85 grams. Broad flan with good full cross, clear king's ordinal II, bold full crown above full pillars-and-waves, minor peripheral flatness, frosty surfaces. This is one of only six dates (1696-1701) struck under Charles II, whose name on these coins appears simply as "C.II.," which are naturally highly sought for the type. One of two varieties for this date--with and without dots in the motto--but this is the only specimen of either variety in the NGC census. NGC #4485215-002. From the 1715 Fleet.

This is an exceptional cob that already has a bid of $20,000.The auction estimate was 20 - 40 thousand.

What is your guess on the final price?   Make a guess and send me your estimate.

Here is the link,

http://auction.sedwickcoins.com/Lima-Peru-cob-8-escudos-1697H-PVA-variety-very-rare-encapsulated-NGC-MS-62-finest-and-only_i28138985

---

I recently wrote about a stretch of beach and various metal detecting zones I identified along that stretch.  I mentioned how those areas differed.  Some differences were apparent by simple observation.  You could see the people, how many were there, what they were doing, what types of things they had, etc.  You could see the natural environment, including the sand, slopes, sea grass, etc.  But there were some things I had to check with my metal detector.  I sampled every area at least a little - some more than others. 

I had to pass by some areas to get to others.  Even if I didn't want to spend much time at a particular zone, I would at least pass through it quickly with my detector to check it out..  I always like to collect a little data to check my previous conclusions.  Occasionally I would run across an unexpected good find or something that might make me want to check a little more.

My main point here is that it is important to really get to know different areas and don't write them off too soon. Check things out, and improve your understanding of any area.

I highly recommend keeping detailed records.  I've said that before.  I never regretted keeping records, but often wished I had kept more.

Areas change over time.  You might want to compare observations over the years and it is difficult to remember everything over a lengthy time span.  Those fifteen zones I described were only along one 8 mile stretch, and I detected a lot of places other than that small area.  

It is nice to have a good long stretch with a variety of different types of zones.  When one zone isn't producing another might be.  You can select different ones to work at different times, depending upon what is going on.  And as you walk from one to another, you can always check those in between.

Different zones had different concentrations and types of targets.  That is something important to keep track of.  I once did a post on math for metal detecting.  You can probably still find it.

When the value of targets can be quantified, you can calculate the most likely value of your finds per time unit at the different zones.  That will help you compare and select detecting sites.  Some zones produce more finds, but on they might be low value finds so that your average find value might actually be higher at an area where you find fewer things.  The numbers will help you assess the situation much better.  It is amazing how a very few remarkable finds can quickly add up to hundreds or thousands of low quality finds.

Of course you can't go entirely by the numbers even though the numbers will help you get a good picture of the situation if you put in enough time and keep records.  Some people just want to go by feel.  Some people are just more interested in certain types of finds even though they might not be as valuable.  Some people just like old coins or other old things, for example.  On the other hand, a lot of people don't have the patience for the low-quantity zones even if there are some very high quality finds to be made there.

One of the zones I mentioned yesterday was supposed to have produced old shipwreck coins, according to one book..  I never found that to be the case, but by looking at the area I could tell that it would take a very good storm to wash old coins in even if the book was right.  The book, by the way was written by an author not known for the highest standards of accuracy.  That is another reason I tend to go by my own observations and data.  I try to experiment and test everything that seems important and questionable.  Having spent part of my career in science, it is just my nature.  One thing I emphasize and teach a lot is an empirical scientific approach to metal detecing.

More on metal detecting zones some other day.

---

I hope you will take time to respond if you have not yet responded to the blog poll.  I know of finds that were made that do not show up in the poll yet.  In fact there are some that I showed in this blog that are not represented in the poll yet.  I know that because the area the cobs were found still shows zero finds for that area.  Of course the poll isn't complete yet, so I expect it to fill in.

Thanks for your help.

---

Tropical storm Ophelia is out in the middle of the Atlantic and won't affect us.

We are back to three and four foot surf for the Treasure Coast.

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net