Saturday, October 28, 2017

10/28/17 Report - Tropical Storm Coming. Schooner Dollars. Coin Collecting in 1910. 8 Reale From Bonsteel.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Tropical Storm 18
Source: nhc.noaa.gov
Tropical Storm 18 is headed towards Florida.  It doesn't look like it will do us much good though.  We'll eventually get some north winds and swells but the surf will be small.  A lot of the wind will be coming from the west.

---

The following was published in 1910.


That interesting little account came from a free google ebook composed of volumes 23 and 24 of The Numismatist, beginning in January of 1910.

The price of $1500 was in 1910 dollars, so it would be more like $36,000 in today's money.

You'll find many interesting articles, ads and illustrations.  Just click on the link above to browse that free ebook.

---

The following cob was originally found and sold by Darrel S.  He found the pictures online.

Photo Clips Submitted by Darrel S.


Here is what Darrel said.


I sold this coin many years, ago. It was found with 2 others underneath Chucks Steakhouse, north of Bon Steel lot.

I see my stuff pop up time to time..

Obviously, there was no flipper, info, or certificate. Just my word. Interesting.



As you probably know, Bonsteel is known for the many half reales, not so much for larger denominations.

---

There is a TV program on the Science channel you might like.  I think it is called What On Earth.  They do a little too much hookum, but if you can tolerate that, they show some interesting stuff.

---

I lost my first attempt at a post today.  I had a lot of it done and then lost it.  I think there was something else I talked about, but that is all I'm going to do now.

I think you'll like browsing the Numismatist.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net