Wednesday, October 18, 2017

10/18/17 Report - Gold 1715 Fleet Beach Find From Irma Plus Diamond Ring Find. Worn Silver Coin Find.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Gold 1715 Fleet Beach Find.
Find and photo by Ken A.

OK, so you wanted to see the gold finds that were reported after Hurricane Irma. I have one to show you today.

You might remember the poll I conducted towards the end of September to find out what was found that month.  I showed a lot of musket ball finds, but not any of the gold finds that were reported at the time. I am now finally able to show you one of those. You can see it above.
Now that is what I call a really super find!  But that isn't all Ken found.

Here is what Ken told me.

Hi my name is Ken A. I recently recovered a piece of rolled gold from a wreck site beach. It is .8 grams and you can see if has been in the surf for a long time. It tested at 21kt. I also dug the same day a beautiful Platinum and Diamond ring not far from the gold find. It contains around 2ct. Was a awesome day. These were located 2 days after Hurricane Irma.
Thanks for sharing Ken.  Great finds!

Here is the platinum diamond ring found by Ken on the same day as the gold.

Platinum Diamond Ring
Find and photo by Ken A.
---

Here is a find from just a couple days ago.

Heavily Corroded Silver Coin Find.
Find and photo by Sherry Y.

Sherry Y said, I was metal detecting at   - - -   today and a found this round disc about 6 inches down in wet sand.  It is silver.  The yellow coin is a trashed US dime for size comparison.  I'm pretty sure it is or was a coin as there is a date that is almost readable.  I don't want to get my hopes up, but it looks like a 1722 or 1724.  Only one side has any detail left whatsoever.  The other side is completely worn smooth.,,


In a follow-up email she said, I tested it, and it is silver. I was using my Garrett Infinium, so no ID number. It was totally black when dug out of the sand.  I probably shouldn't have, but I did clean it with silver jewelry polish and a soft cloth.  I figured it was already toasted anyway and I thought it was a trashed silver dime until I did a size comparison. The color cast on the photo is misleading.  It is actually a flat dull gray color.  I could probably get it shiny, but I don't want to damage it any more.  


  It reminds me of a penny I dug a few weeks ago after the hurricane.  Almost paper thin and totally smooth on both sides.  But it was penny sized and copper, so I figured that's what it was...

Thanks for Sherring Sherry.  Keep it up.  Who knows what will pop out of that hole next.

A find like that tells you that there might be something else old there.  Keep checking that spot.

Be alert for spots like that.  We are having something like a three to five foot surf on the Treasure Coast but the swell is very much from the north.  That is something we didn't get when the surf was big this year.  That could open up some spots.

I haven't been able to get out to check lately. I had a family member in the hospital and had to take care of things.

The surf will be up around six feet towards the end of this week.

Its always good to get a look at some new 1715  gold.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net