Friday, October 27, 2017

10/27/17 Report - Irma Uproots More Than Trees. Beach Changes Overnight. More Thoughts On Mystery Object. Cyclone Developing Now.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Photos by Joe D.


Yesterday I received the following message along with the attached photos from Joe D. 

Just read today's [ yesterday.s ] post.  I was out before sunrise to continue hunting the same area as yesterday, which was about 21 hours ago.  And the beach had drastically changed in that span of time.  The sandbar that I mentioned yesterday had made landfall with a vengeance and made anymore hunting here pointless for now.  (See pics for a same spot comparison).  But the sunrise was fantastic!             Also, here's a large piece of debris that had to have come through one of the inlets, or from the Keys via the gulf stream.  It's a large chunk of mangroves and soil, and probably weighs several thousand pounds.      Joe D.


Thanks for the report and pictures Joe.

---


Hurricane Irma Uncovered Native American Artifacts.

Archaeologists are sifting through the root balls of twenty trees on Marco Island that were uprooted by Hurricane Irma to see what Calusa artifacts might have been uncovered.

Here is the link to that story.


Just before I read about that, I read an email from Darrel S. about checking where trees have been uprooted.

I talked about various sources of erosion yesterday and should have mentioned that I do always check where trees have been uprooted.  A lot of the time I have found nothing there, but a few times I have made nice finds that way.  A few were 1715 Fleet finds.

---

I think the mystery coin that Steve found does show a Cuban seal on one side.  Thanks to Brian M. for pointing us in the right direction.  Both Steve, who found the coin, and some readers question if the other side matches that of a ten centavos coin.  Joe D. sent this picture of a two centavos coin with the following message.


Picture of Two Centavos Submitted by Joe D.


 Joe said,   I was just comparing Brians coin picture with the one posted today and I noticed something in the star that didn't mesh. I looked on coinect.com and found what I think is a better match for the star. It's a 2 centavos based on the pattern I see in his pic ( here's a pic). The 1 and 5 centavos don't match either, so I believe it's the 2!

The trouble with that is that Steve believes the coin to be silver.  The two centavos is not.

The earliest Cuba coins with that kind of seal was the 1915 coins.  A similar seal, but one that looks to me less like that on the mystery coin, was used as early as 1897, but those coins had a female head facing right  on the other side.

Here is a good link for Cuba coins.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/cuba-2.html 


I like the process of how these mysteries get closer to a solution over time.  We make progress with each step as different people contribute and we have to take new facts and opinions into account.

Christopher P., on the other hand, thought mystery coin might be a badly worn medallion such as the "First Communion" medallion shown below.  He sent the following example.

First Communion Medallion
Submitted by Christopher P.
I guess there is some possibly it could be a medallion rather than a coin.  Lets see what Steve, the one person that has the advantage of looking at the coin in person, thinks.  I don't know if we have an exact match yet, but I think we are getting closer, thanks to those who have contributed their research and ideas.

---

It isn't too late to have a hurricane.  In fact right now there is a system developing down near Mexico that has a 50 percent chance of becoming a cyclone in the next 48 hours.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov
On the Treasure Coast we'll have a couple days of small surf.

The cool air is more comfortable than all those 90 degree days we had this summer.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net