Tuesday, October 22, 2019

10/22/19 Report - Heart Shaped Cobs and Featured Treasures. Auction Details. Photo Records.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Heart-Shaped 2-Reale
Source: Sedwick Auction Catalog For Current Auction.
I received an email from Sedwick concerning the current auction.  The email included a photo of several featured lots including the one shown above.  Below is the lot description.

Potosi, Bolivia, cob 2 reales Heart, 1685VR, unique. S-P40; KM-24; CT-615. 7.14 grams. A very fat Heart enabling lots of visible legend (including a third date), with small (holed) stem at top, aligned axis, full details on an evenly thin flan (no doubling), VF with nice toning, in fact the earliest known date of (genuine) Hearts of any denomination. These special presentation pieces are the sole product of the Potosi mint and relate to the Sacred Heart symbol in Catholic faith. Pedigreed to the Aureo & Calico auction of April 2016 (lot #1293).

I've posted about the Sacred Heart image and heart-shaped cobs a number of times, including the original research on the heart-shaped cobs by author and researcher Laura Strolia.  Below are some links.


A previous Sedwick auction included a number of the hear-shaped cobs.


Here are some of the other featured lots from the auction.

Some of the Featured Lots in the Current Sedwick Auction.

The following information was also included in the same email. World, U.S. Coin and Paper Money 
Auction 26
Friday-Saturday, November 1-2, 2019



We are just 11 DAYS out from our live floor and online Treasure, World, U.S. Coin & Paper Money Auction 26. This must-attend sale starts at 9:30 AM EDT on Friday, November 1 for Sessions I, II & III, and 9:30 AM EDT on Saturday, November 2 for Sessions IV and V. Session VI, the express, online-only session, follows at 10:00 AM EST (note the time change!) on Monday, November 4.

Now is the perfect time to register for the auction, as any registration issues can certainly be accommodated more easily in advance. Please don't wait to register on the day of to avoid missing out on some desirable lots!

Even if you already have an iCollector account, you still must Get approved to bid for each auction by entering and confirming your information for this auction, like reviewing your shipping information and choosing your preferred way of payment. Registration and bidding online are always FREE (no extra fees or percentages for bidding online).

Remember, tie bids go to the earliest bidders, so don't wait for the live closing to bid on anything for which you have a strict number in mind.

This week is also your LAST CHANCE to order a printed catalog, schedule to bid by phone, or mail/fax your bids. If you'd like to do lot viewing ahead of the sale, please contact us now to set up an appointment. Otherwise, lot viewing will be available at the auction site beginning at noon on October 31.


---

Yesterday I posted two old photos.  I received some nice emails concerning  that post.

One photo was from the early 19th century, and the other from the mid 19th century.  You might have noticed that in the older photo the children are dressed in their best, and in the other photo they were wearing whatever would keep them warm on a cold day of play outside.

The difference suggests something I think is significant.  In the early 19th century, photography was more of a big deal, especially for rural folks.   By the mid-19th century cameras were more common.  Photography had become more casual.

With cameras in the phones that everybody carries around, these days people take thousands of photos.  You don't need to buy film and pay to have prints made from negatives.  People take so many photos they are no big deal.  In fact they take so many photos that the vast majority will be forgotten and lost in a very short time.

I'm glad I have the old prints.   In addition to photos of about six or seven generations of family members, I have photos of many finds that I made years ago.  I'm glad I made those photos.  They provide good records and remind me of the time I made the finds.

Unfortunately a lot of the digital photos that I've made are on some old floppy disc that can no longer be used, or some dead computer or USB drive that no longer works.  I'm so glad I have the old photos and that my grandmother kept them over the years.  She made a lot of them with her Brownie Box camera.  I'm glad she kept her photos along with those that were passed down to her.  And I'm glad my mother kept them too.

My first recommendation is to take photos of your finds.  My second recommendation is to get prints made of those you want to keep.  The digital world changes so much that I've had bad luck trying to keep photos in a digital form.  And good luck to anyone from future generations that might want to access them unless they are maintained on a web site such as ancestry.com, which is a good way to share your generational photos.

---

Yesterday I received a 1953 wheat penny in change at Walmart, so there are still some showing up in circulation.

---


The National Hurricane Center map shows nothing of interest for the Treasure Coast.

Here is the surf prediction.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

---

The more I learn, the more I don't know.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net