Tuesday, October 29, 2019

10/29/19 Report - Seagrape Trail Beach Today. Conquistadors Explore Catawba Territory. More on Chisels, Spikes and Screws.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Seagrape Trail Beach Tuesday Afternoon.

Literally just in.  I received these photos from Seagrape Trail from DJ as I was in the process of posting.

Thanks DJ.

---


About 450 years ago, Spanish soldiers on an expedition from Florida took over the native Catawba town of Joara, about 60 miles East of Asheville. 

Fort San Juan is the earliest known European settlement in the Southeastern US, established about 40 years before the English arrived in Jamestown.  That made Spanish the first European language spoken in Appalachia...  
https://www.bpr.org/post/exploring-southern-appalachia-conquistadors-and-catawba#stream/0


---

I hoped to find a way to easily tell if an item might be a chisel or not.  I failed.

From what I've determined, chisels are typically flat on one side of the point and angled on the other, like the wood-working chisels shown below.



But there are chisels for working materials other than wood, such as hot metals and stone.  Among the chisels meant for working stone, there are bull-point chisels, for example, which are angled on both the top and bottom.

While I'd expect wood-wood working chisels to be most common on centuries old sailing ships, there could be other types for black-smithing or mining.

Who was it that said "The more I learn, the more I don't  know?"

I'd also expect wood-working chisels to have handles, which, like spikes, could also be broken off.

I planned on getting close-up views of several spikes and chisels, but couldn't find the ones I wanted to photograph when I went looking for them.

John C. sent this photo of a broken spike with the email message I posted from him yesterday.

Broken Spike Find.
Find and photo by John C.
At this point, I'm still thinking that Troy's find is more than likely a spike rather than a chisel.

Let me know if you agree or disagree.

---

Jerry P. sent me the following email and photos.

What a great post on screws! There's no coincidence that I find a lot of screws on the beach adjacent old shipwrecks. So much so I had to purchase Witold’s book yeas ago and it definitely solidified it for me. If you don’t know don’t throw, these old screws are shipwreck history and excellent artifacts!! 


Old Screws Found by Jerry P. Along With A Copy of  Witold's Book on Screws and Screwdrivers.


Thank Jerry.  Of course they can also be good clues for the detectorist.

---

Happy hunting,
Treasureguide@comcast.net