Sunday, October 27, 2019

10/27/19 Report - Turtle Trail Beach Conditions. A Mystery Item and a Couple Other Finds.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Turtle Trail Friday.
Photo by Joe D.
Yesterday I mentioned that I hadn't been to the Vero/Sebastian area and didn't know what was going on there.  Joe D. sent these photos of Turtle Trail that he took Friday, which would have been after a lot of the higher surf.


Turtle Trail Friday.
Photo by Joe D.
Thanks for the photos Joe.

Joe said he met a couple detectorists there that were back from a detecting trip to Thailand.

---

Troy C.  found the following item he would like to know more about.

Find Found by Troy C.
Photo by Troy C.
Below is what Troy said.


My name is Troy and recently I had found an item while I was free diving the southernmost edge of the Treasure Coast. I wasn't out very deep but I do believe this item to be an old chisel that was either coated in bronze or copper. I was hoping maybe to get feedback to see if what I had found... If this is something from the 1600s that would be pretty incredible.




Another View of the Same Find.

Let me know what you think about Troy's item.

And any thoughts on age?

---


I made some similar finds in the past.  Below are some of those.  The first seems to be about the same size as Troy's.




I learned a bit from researching those finds.  A reader informed me back a few years ago, that the large item in the second photo is a wedge rather than a chisel.

A wedge is for separating things.  A chisel is for removing material, such as wood or stone.

Both types of tools would be handy on sailing or later ships.

I posted information about that in an old post, which you can find by using the following link.

https://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2016/08/81316-report-wedges-and-chisels-and.html

That post also provides a nice link or two to articles about tools that you might enjoy.

---

Here is a find that I wasn't sure about for a long time.  Now I'm pretty sure I know what it is.

Mystery Item.

What do you think it is?


---

The high tides are going to be big, but the surf only two to three feet the next couple of days.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net