Thursday, September 18, 2014

9/19/14 Report - Shipwreck Wood Found on Beach Not Far From Anchor. International Talk Like A Pirate Day Today. Response To Life Is A Beach Post.


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.BlogSpot.com.



Big Piece of Wood With Iron and Concretion
Found on Beach
Just in:  This is International Talk Like a Pirate Day and you can get a dozen free donuts at Krispy Kreem if you wear a pirate costume, or one free donut if you talk like a pirate.

http://www.krispykreme.com/Pirate


Yesterday I took a look at some of the beaches.  The surf was up pretty good.  The day before I didn't think the waves got as big as predicted.  The waves were forming nicely yesterday, and there were a lot of surfers out.

At one Treasure Coast beach the waves were breaking right at the base of the front beach.  It was really pounding (See photo below.).   But at the other beaches that I looked at, the waves were breaking 50 to a 100 yards out (See video.).  The video shows where everyone was surging.  That is also the area where the piece of shipwreck wood was found.

At two beaches that do not normally have a lot of shells there was a good heavy shell line near the high tide line.   They weren't big shells, but there were a lot of them.  There were also a few pieces of fossils.

All of the beaches that I saw were built up and very mushy.  Very poor beach detecting conditions.

I promised a photo of the piece of wood that I think could be a piece of shipwreck wood.  Here are three.

The wood is bigger than it looks in the photos.  I'd say just over four feet long and nearly a foot thick.

In the photo above you can see the end of an iron band that goes around what I'll call the back side of the plank.   The iron band is mostly covered by light grey concretion.

Front View of the Same Piece of Wood - Flat Side

 

Other Side of the Piece of Wood _ Worm Eaten and More Rounded.
In this photo the grey concretion covers the iron band.

This piece of wood was found south of Dollman Beach, where a year or two ago an old anchor was found in the water.   My 8/18/12 post told about that.

In that post Bill F. told about how he found a piece of a wreck near there, and mentioned that the America sank near there.

Here is the link to that post.

http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/search?q=anchor+found

Remember, you can use the search box on the first page of the blog.

Here is a video showing the surf down that way yesterday.  Good chest high waves breaking out a good ways.



I don't know if you can see the surfers in this small video.

And below is a photo of the shipwreck beach where the waves were pounding right at the base of the beach.




In my 9/17/14 post I wrote about my dad and I.  I didn't know if I should post that in this blog, but I decided to just based upon my gut feeling.  I just felt like I should do it and maybe it would help someone.

It didn't fit in with the types of things that I usually post, and I didn't know how people would react.  As it turns out, I didn't need to worry about that.  

Those who detect are a special group.  They appreciate the past.   They are generally kind and care about people and family.  They do the "right" thing and are glad to return valuable found items when they can. 

I received a lot of emails from people who appreciated that post.  Below is a pretty typical example from Mike T.

Here is what Mike said.

Thanks for sharing that.... In this crazy world we tend to gloss over things that don't affect us directly. The slight glimpse of your world reminds me that that we should never take things for granted or be too busy with life to appreciate those we love and who have given us so much. Life is short and before you know it things change....like the beach.  I haven't read your blog for months as I have been busy with life and family. For some unknown reason this evening I clicked the link in my favorites.  I am thankful. :)

Mike

I couldn't have said it better Mike.

Many detectorists detect with family members.  Some got started because of their dad, and some introduced their dad or mom to the hobby. 

I always enjoy seeing a father teaching a young boy how to detect at the beach.  One of my favorite photos is of me showing my then ten-year-old nephew how to detect.  My dad and mom were at the beach with me when I found my first ring.  I remember it well.  I remember my dad's reaction when I showed it to him.

Mike mentions that he read the blog that day "for some unknown reason."  I also posted that post for "some unknown reason."  I just felt it.  Part of it was in tribute to my dad.  It was also probably cathartic.  But a lot of it was that there was just something in the back of my mind telling me to do it.

I strongly believe that there is a lot more than we see or know.  I heed feelings and impulses.  When I detect I listen to my feelings and impulses.  I might for some unknown reason  on impulse visit a new site or wander over to a particular spot.  

Many readers were able to relate to something I said.  Maybe it helped somebody.   Many of us will go through something similar.  People are people.  We all have challenges in life.  We are all unique, yet all have a lot in common. 

About that post, Karen wrote   ... It will impact those that are in that place. For others, maybe they will store it away for later. Thank you.

My hope is that when I write things like that "for some unknown reason," someone somewhere will deeply benefit some how.  That makes it all worthwhile.


On the Treasure Coast the surf is supposed to be 2 - 3 feet today and then decrease slightly for a couple of days.

There isn't much in tropics to watch other than one disturbance just coming off of Africa.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuidecomcast.net