Tuesday, February 17, 2015

5/17/15 Report - New $10,000 Plus Minelab Detector. Little Things Can Mean A Lot. Sharing Photos Made With GPS Enabled Devices


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesrport.BlogSpot.com.

Minelab GPZ 7000 Detector


Here is a picture of the new Minelab GPZ 7000 to be launched tomorrow, Feb. 18.   Preorders are being accepted.  The retail price is around $12,000.   I've seen them offered for $9,999.

It is a gold detector and supposed to be 40% deeper than the GPX 5000.

 The stem and body assembly look a bit like the Garrett ATX.




------

One of the things that it took a long time for me to learn, and that I'm actually still learning, is that little things can make a big difference.  I was noticing just the other day how much difference a slight tilt in the coil can have.  I was using a powerful detector and a slight tilt sometimes made a big difference in signal strength.  That also means a difference in ability to detect deep or small targets.

Mostly what I've been noticing is the big difference made by changes in settings.  It really surprised me how much difference the threshold setting can make - not just on one detector either, but mostly pulse induction detectors. 

Some people simply adjust the threshold for comfort.  Some like the threshold silent while others like it louder.  If you do a test (I've done many) you'll see that the threshold setting can make a huge difference.  It won't necessarily make you miss the most obvious targets, but it can make it difficult to hear perfectly good smaller or deep targets. 

In my tests, having the threshold either too quiet or too loud, resulted in a surprising reduction in signal strength and losing a good number or signals altogether.   I would never have guessed how much difference it would make, but I tested it and found out for sure.

For many years I went out and set the settings to what I was accustomed to using or what seemed to work.  After extensive testing, I am now much more careful about my settings.  You can have a very good detector, but use it in a manner that makes it much less effective.  I now adjust my detector differently at different beaches and different parts of a beach, depending upon a variety of factors.

You can start by using the factory presets, what the instruction manuals suggests or what someone tells you, but if you want the best performance that isn't enough.

--------

If you use an iPhone or GPS enabled camera you should be aware that when you upload a photo from such a camera that you could be passing along additional data.  You could be unwittingly posting the location where the photo was taken, and possibly your name and other information stored with the picture.

You don't have to worry about the GPS data being included if your camera is not GPS enabled. 

If you use an iPhone to take your pictures, you can remove data that you don't' want to share before posting a photo.  Don't worry it is relatively easy.  I mentioned this before but I received a question about it so thought I'd post more information.

First, here is a general article about that.

http://www.fieldtechnologies.com/stop-gps-data-recorded-in-photos-from-revealing-where-you-live/

And here are instructions telling how to delete data from iPhone pictures before you send them or post them.

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/iphoneipodtouchapps/a/How-To-Remove-Geotags-From-Pictures-Taken-On-Your-Iphone.htm

You can check for data associate with pictures when using Windows 8 by right clicking on the photo, and going to "Properties" and then "Details."  You can then select to remove data if you wish.

I usually snip the pictures that I receive before posting them so the extra data is removed.   But if you want to make sure not to include extra data with your pictures or your own posts, you can follow the above instructions.

------

It is good advice to slow down when metal detecting.  It might also be a good idea to slow down when driving.  I've seen some terrible driving lately and some bad accidents.  It isn't worth it.  Arrive alive!

------

On the Treasure Coast the wind this morning was from the South.  In the afternoon it was coming from the West.  Expect a westerly wind for a couple of days.

There was a good negative tide today combined with a calm surf.   That is a good time to check the low tide area.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@Comcast.net