Thursday, June 2, 2016

6/3/16 Report - Lost, Found and Returned Necklace by Warren D. Sacred Heart of Jesus. Problems Related To Antique Shipwreck Ceramics.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Necklace With Gold Coin Pendant
Find and photo by Warren D.
I received the following email from Warren D. yesterday.

Yesterday I was detecting the wet sand behind the a major hotel in Indialantic with my White's TDI pulse detector when a woman approached me and asked if I could help her and her husband. I said sure and she pointed up the beach to a neighboring hotel where a man in a orange shirt was scraping dry sand. I told her my name and asked what did they lose. She said a necklace with a gold charm on it. As we were walking there she said she took the necklace off and laid it on a beach chair and they forgot about it. When they left they just folded up the chairs and walked to the parking lot and put the chairs in the trunk of the car. I said I hear that happens a lot and it made me think this could be a little more complicated than I thought. I met with her husband and said I'll do a big box search and drag my foot and trace their steps to the staircase. I kept asking them if I was staying in the general area OK. After about an hour the woman followed me and I gave her a running commentary about targets and some were too deep to be a recent drops and the distance was about 60 yards from the chair spot to the steps.

I found a tungsten ring, a quarter and bottle caps and was moving kind of fast to cover the area and I sensed they were leaving soon and Susan said they were flying out that day. I said give me your contact info and if you want put it on Craig's list lost and found and someone may find it. Well she and her husband decided to go in to the hotel and prepare to check out and I continued hunting about another 15 to 20 minutes and I got a hit. It was about midway between the chair location and the stairs and I assume the charm/coin must have fell down on edge and didn't lay flat. Coming from a different direction my coil got a hit. I brought the White's TDI with the Sierra T-foot coil 18" by 5" because my plan was to do wet sand and go deep. But this was hunting for a shallow target but the size of my coil gave me good coverage.

I got it in one scoop, it was shallow maybe under a half inch of sand. All balled up the chain was very fine. Luckily it was hidden or it would have been a eyeball find for somebody. 

I pulled out my phone and their contact info and I said Susan, I got it come back to the beach. They came back out to the beach and they were holding hands. Her Husband Rocky tried to hand me a bunch of bills and I said no thanks, I like the challenge. I said have a good vacation now and I bet you lost a lot of sleep last night. 

They're back home now and they just sent me these pics. The charm or coin is a Gold coin, $10 or $20 piece.

Warren D.

As you and I know, that kind of thing happens all of the time.  Tourists or locals lose things and get them back because of a friendly detectorist.

Thanks for sharing Warren.  I'd like to tell more of these types of stories.

You might remember how Warren returned a fine ring back a while.

Notice that he found another ring while searching for the necklace.  That happens a lot.  You look for one thing and find something else.  Things are lost where things are lost.  One is a good sign that there could be another.

If a coin is on edge, it will often give a much less of a signal when you sweep over it in one direction than if you sweep over it another direction.  Try it out for yourself with your own detector.

Stick a coin in the ground and sweep over it one direction and then at a 90 degree angle and notice the difference in the signal.  The difference when using some pulse detectors might not be as great, but you should experiment so you learn exactly how your detector responds to a coin like that.

---

In some old posts I posted information about the Sacred Heart of Jesus, including information relating to heart-shaped reales.   Laura Strolia did a great article on the heart-shaped reales that I posted in my Nov. 8, 2015 post.  You can find other posts mentioning the subject in this blog too.

June is the month of the year that the Catholic Church dedicates to Sacred Heart of Jesus. But just what does a devotion to the Sacred Heart mean? Here is one article on the subject.

http://epicpew.com/8-facts-sacred-heart/

---

Here is a good article on some problems relating to antique ceramics found on shipwrecks.  It provides a few helpful reminders for dating shipwrecks as well.

Here is one excerpt.

Let us take for example, the small models of boys portrayed wearing blue aprons and seated with arms and legs outstretched. A number of these were recovered from the Nanking Cargo (1752). This fitted the dating theory well, as the group had always been attributed to the mid 18th century. The same figures appear also to have been found on an unpublished wreck from about 1730 – 1740. By comparing them closely, it can be seen that the 1730 – 1740 figures do indeed relate to those on the 1752 Nanking Cargo.

When similar models were discovered on the Tek Sing (1822) it was assumed by some that they were mid-18th century “antiques” on board a 19th century ship. However , after closer study, slight differences were found in the large group of 1822 Tek Sing figures. They are not “antiques” at all, but simply later examples of an enduringly popular model.


Here is the link.

http://orientalceramics.com/index.php/shipwreck-ceramics/

The pictures do not seem to show up on the site.  Make sure to scroll all the way to the bottom of the article.

---

Expect a good flat surf through the weekend.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net