Saturday, July 14, 2018

7/14/18 Report - More Treasure Coast Cobs and Monograms for Comparison.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

Mexico Half Real Treasure Coast Find 
The last few days I've been showing some cobs from a May 2013 hunt.  Here is one more Mexico half reale from that hunt.  This one is about the same size as the one I showed yesterday, and also shows a fairly nice monogram.

Yesterday I also mentioned paying attention to any patina or encrustation.  If you compare this one with the one I showed yesterday, you'll notice that they have very similar pieces of shell adhering to the surface of the cob.

Philip Monogram on Same Mexico Half Reale
Unfortunately this one doesn't show the assayer mark like the one I showed yesterday.

I'll put them side by side.

Two Half Reales From the Same Hunt.

The two cobs have nice monograms and were found during the same hunt at John Brooks beach.  I chose to show cobs from this hunt primarily because of these two nice monograms.  I'm glad I had them labeled so I know where and when they came from.

The assayer mark is missing from the one on the left, but you might be able to see a piece of the M mint mark to the left of the P.  They seem to be similar, yet there are differences.  The one on the left has a big dot under the loop of the P, for example.

So far I've shown the half reales, which I like, but here is another cob from the hunt that is a bit bigger.

Mexico-Minted  One Reale
Shield On One Reale.
Instead of a monogram, the one reale shows part of a shield.  Ths one is still covered with encrustation.

---

There is a good high and low tide today.  It would be a good day for some shallow water hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net