Wednesday, September 12, 2018

9/12/18 Report - Beach Conditions and Predictions as Florence Nears Landfall. Spanish Coin Find.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



Do you recognize this silver dollar sized coin?  I found it back not long after I just began metal detecting.  I think you can see why I thought it might be something good.

Besides being new to metal detecting, we didn't have all the helpful internet resources, web site and forums to help with the research, so it was quite a while before I learned much about it.

As a new detectorist three or four decades ago, I thought I might have found something noteworthy when I dug it up.


These aren't bad pictures.  The coin is well worn.

It turns out it does have some silver content, but it isn't very old.  It is a 1957 Mexico one-peso coin.

---

John Brooks Beach This Morning About 8 AM.

I had a few minutes to take a quick look at the beach this morning. As you can see above, the waves were hitting straight on and, there was no erosion at John Brooks at that time. There were a few more shells at the high tide line.


Turtle Nest Marker Near Center of Photo.
I noticed the turtle nest and was reminded of the environmental damage done by beach renourishment.  There is NO chance that this turtle nest will productive.  It won't be long before it washes away.  

I'm glad I'm not preparing for a hurricane to hit this morning.

I was well out in front of the media on Florence.  A week ago I talked about it heading toward the Carolina's and hanging around a while.  The predictions haven't changed much on this one.

MagicSeaWeed shows the surf starting to increase later today.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com


Florence.
Source: nhc.noaa.gov
There is one change.  It now looks like Florence will bend south a little.

Isaac.
Source: nhc.noaa.gov
It looks like Isaac is going to stay south of us.

---

We'll see what happens later today.  So far it is quiet on the Treasure Coast.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net