Monday, September 24, 2018

9/24/18 Report - Turtle Trail Today. Cowries and Cow Pies. Weather In The Atlantic.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Turtle Trail Beach Around Four PM Today.

I had to be up in Vero today and had a chance to take a look at the Turtle Trail Beach today.  You can see what it looked like.

Not much to report beyond what you can see.

Another View of Turtle Trail Beach Around Four PM Today.
 ---

Maybe you noticed the mistake in the clip I posted yesterday from the Portugal wreck article.  Dan C. caught it.  Here is what Dan sent in an email.

In response to your recent story of the Portugal wreck.

They traded cowries not cowpies !

Trivia: As a former shell diver in Micronesia and Hawaii, I learned of a species of common cowry shell known as "money cowry".

This was used by certain pacific islanders as a trade good, so the practice was worldwide for eons, not only in the pacific and Africa, but middle east, Egypt, and including native americans. I have a few of those in my collection.

Another trivia: A Golden cowry is worth an average of $500 USD.

They can be found diving at night on deeper reefs, but rarely. They are found from Hawaii throughout the pacific to Australia.

They were treasured by Hawaiian royalty.

I still do now own one yet .....

(As a rule, my shell collection contains only shells harvested live by myself, so I may never have a Golden cowry ........)

As always, keep up the good work.

Dan


Thanks for pointing out the typo Dan and the humor in it Dan.  Also thanks for the information on treasured shells.

Being a country boy, I noticed the "cowpie" reference in the article and thought it was funny. A "cow pie" is a term for cow dung.  I imagine there are people that didn't know that term, especially those from the city or high society.   Cow dung, as found in the field, is usually in a flat round pancake-like shape.   According to Merriam Webster the first use of that term was in 1947.   Now that is something you need to know!  Seems like I've known it all my life and have even stepped in a few.

In case I didn't make it clear, when I post something in italicized blue, it is a direct quote that was simply cut and pasted - not my own words.

---

The complete beach hunter does not only pick up metal objects.  There are a variety other things of value that you can find on a beach.  I talk about some of them from time to time, and I'm glad Dan added his expert information on shells.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov
The storm scene has changed a little.  It looks like Kirk has fizzled out.  It could reform.

Leslie is still in about the same place.

That wave we have just to the east of us has not moved much either.  It has a decent chance of becoming a cyclone in the next 48 hours.   That one could affect us, and Kirk could still affect us.

MagicSeaWeed predicts a slowly decreasing surf for the Treasure Coast for the next two or three days.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net