Saturday, September 15, 2018

9/15/18 Report - Florence Finds Beginning To Come In. Nice Treasure Coast Shipwreck Artifacts On Display. 83 Foot Wave!


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Couple Florence Finds From the Treasure Coast.
Finds and photo by D. Renken.
I received an email with photos from D. Renken, who just found the above fake treasure coin and copper sheathing.  When you dig a fake like that, your first glimpse gets you excited before you realize that it is a fake.  D. R. said he quickly recognized this one as a fake.

He also sent me photos of a large sheet of shipwreck copper that he found some time ago (below).  He made a great wall display out of the copper and some spikes and nails.


Wall Display Of Shipwreck Copper, Lead, Spikes, Nails etc.
Finds and photo by D. Renken.
The large copper has a makers mark on it, which D. has been trying to identify.

Makers Mark on Copper Sheathing.
Photo by D. Renken.
If you can help identify the mark, please let me know.

That is the kind of display I highly recommend.  You will get more pleasure out of your finds if you clean them up and make a nice display.  This is a beautiful example.

Thanks for the photos D.

---

I need to clarify something I said yesterday.  I said something like, I'm not a serious detectorist anymore.  I only meant that I don't detect a lot.  I didn't mean to suggest that I lost interest.  I am every bit as interested in detecting as I ever was.  I just don't get the opportunity to do it much.  I now have responsibilities that keep me from going out a lot.   I very much regret not being able to hunt more.  As a result I have to make the best use of my limited time in the field, which makes it even more important to make the most efficient use of my time.  That means I study to improve my effectiveness even more.  I also spend more time studying finds, and have learned a lot that way.

---


83 foot wave?  Wow!

https://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/water-cooler/hurricane-florence-creates-monster-83-foot-wave

Thanks to Jorge Y. for that link.

---

Mystery Find.
Find and photo by Scott C.
Scott C. found this item on one of the Treasure Coast shipwreck beaches and wondered what it might be.  He provided no indication of size.

To me it looks like a buckle, or perhaps a drawer pull.  What do you think.

I have no idea of age.  If it is cleaned up, there might be a mark.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov
Looks like Florence will be turning and heading into the Ohio Valley.

Isaac as dissipated.

Joyce and Helen will stay far out in the Atlantic.

Maybe we'll get some good Fall storms.  It is not uncommon.   Florence didn't really do much for us despite the high water.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.
The surf has calmed down but will increase to three to four feet by Sunday.

I have a few more finds to show later.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net