Thursday, February 21, 2019

2/21/19 Report - A Look At Some Beaches. One Find. Incan Tomb. Some Blood Sucking History On The Indian River Lagoon.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Jensen Beach Wednesday Afternoon Near Low Tide.
I was driving down a stretch of South Hutchinson Island yesterday and got to take a look at a few of the beaches.  This was near low tide and before the peak tides that occurred later in the day.

As you can see Jensen Beach didn't look bad for hunting modern items.  There were plenty of people there and a wide low front beach.

Another View of Jensen Beach About the Same Time.








Walton Rocks Yesterday Near Low Tide.
Walton Rocks didn't look so good.  Most of it was covered with seaweed and it was very sandy.


John Brooks Beach A Little Before Low Tide Wednesday.
You can still see a good bit of the old cut at John Brooks.  It didn't look much good.

I did get my detector out for a few minutes and found the following.

Gold Dental Cap.

I think I got some gold even if not much.

---

This is one of those days when I've been thinking of a topic that is just too big for a blog post.  For me it is a very important topic, but it would take a lot of time to get it in a form that would do it justice.

---

Peruvian archaeologists discovered an Incan tomb in the north of the country where an elite member of the pre-Columbian empire was buried, one of the investigators announced Friday...

Archaeologists believe the tomb belonged to a noble Inca based on the presence of "spondylus," a type of sea shell always present in the graves of important figures from the Incan period, which lasted from the 12th to the 16th centuries.

The tomb had been broken into multiple times, possibly in search of treasure. But despite evidence of looting, recovered items including vases...
Here is the link if you want to read more about that.

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-archaeologists-incan-tomb-peru.html

---

There was a big mosquito bloom on South Hutchinson Island recently.  I had a nice talk with one of the St. Lucie County mosquito control people and learned some interesting things.  While the mosquitoes that populate the island are aggressive and can travel up to 25 miles, they do not carry diseases.  At least that was my understanding of what was said.

I thought this photo was interesting.  These fellows had the job of digging the mosquito control ditches.


The jacquithurlowlippisch.com showed this photo along with the following explanation provided by the author.

The photograph above is one of those rare images that tells you everything even without a caption. This photo, shared by my mother historian, Sandra Henderson Thurlow, (http://www.sandrathurlow.com) was given to her by Mrs. Elizabeth Early, a pioneer of Stuart, “Stuart on the St Lucie.” The photo is entitled “Mosquito Ditch Digging,” and the subjects are unidentified. My mother believes the photo was taken in our region around 1920.

Here is the link for more about mosquito control and the Indian River Lagoon.

https://jacquithurlowlippisch.com/2018/09/14/historic-photos-of-mosquito-control-along-the-indian-river-lagoon/

---

I was informed by one reader that one of the detectorists on Dig Wars admitted that some of their "finds" were planted, so in that light it was my mistake to suggest their finds might in any way be illustrative or typical.

As I said just a few days ago, if I post something wrong it isn't long before somebody brings it to my attention, so I can make corrections.

I guess that is also another reminder to be skeptical of "reality" TV.

---

The surf is decreasing now.  It looks like we'll get another bump in the surf in a few days.

The tides are big now.  The low tides are really low.  That might present some opportunities.


I'd really like to get more ideas on the mystery item I posted yesterday.

Thanks.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide @comcast.net