Saturday, February 23, 2019

2/23/19 Report - Shipbuilding Fasterners: Clinched Spike and Rove Finds. EOs.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Clinched Spike Find

I always recommend holding onto old finds, especially when you are not absolutely sure what they are.  I occasionally go back and look at old "junk" finds and discover something interesting that I never noticed before.  Sometimes things that weren't very interesting become interesting when I learn something.  That was the case recently.

I ran across some information on shipbuilding fasteners. The information is found in the book
Ships' Fastenings: From Sewn Boat to Steamship, by Michael Mccarthy.

That books shows many examples of how clinched nails or spikes were used.  I've only found a very few examples, on the beach and from my finds, guessed that they were not as common as the McCarthy book proves.

The clinched spike shown above evidently pulled through the wood.  Below you can see how the head was folded onto itself.

Folded Head of Clinched Spike.

Here is just one of many illustrations of clinched spikes that McCarthy shows in his book.


Now I know more about how clinched spikes were used and only wonder why I haven't found more of them.  

One of the other things I learned from the McCarthy book is how clinched spikes were used with roves.

I've found some roves, and it took me quite a while before I learned about them.  One thing I learned is that they were sometimes forced onto the clinched end of the spike.

Found Lead Rove With Musket Ball.
Below are some that I posted in my 2/5/13 post.  They definitely look the same even though the one above is filled with dirt.


Here we are years later and I just learned more about the roves I've had for some time.

You can continue to learn more about finds for years.  Some that might mean little or nothing to you today, might become much more interesting when you learn more about them in the future.

If you want to link to the McCarthy book, just click on the book title above.

---

I've been asking for ideas concerning an EO that I found.  Here are a couple.

John L. said. Especially due to the shape of the piece above the round portion,
my GUESS is that it may be a "deck ring" from a ship's deck.

They were made of bronze or even iron.

Sebastian Steve said, ...all the above is dependent on the center piece having the 3 large holes for the line to pass through.  No holes, no DEADEYE.  

I have one other EO that is smaller, but similar in shape to the one I've been talking about.  Here they are together.


Two Hollow EOs.
They are both very hollow.  Could possibly be the same type of thing in different sizes.

---

The dental cap that I recently found tests as 10K.

---




It looks like we'll have a bigger surf Monday.  The tides are getting more moderate though.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net