Sunday, February 3, 2019

2/3/19 Report - Wrapping Up January 2019 on the Treasure Coast: Finds and General Conclusions.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

I'm glad my beach rating was as accurate as it was.  It appears that only a level three rating was warranted though.  Since I was sick and didn't get to actually inspect more than couple beaches for myself, I'm satisfied with my prediction and rating, which was based primarily on my observation of the weather and the condition of the beach I did get to inspect.  Some treasure coins were found, but not a lot.  Of course, I do not always hear about all those that are found.  Not everybody reports their finds.

When I issue a beach conditions rating, it is for the Treasure Coast in general - not any particular beach.  That means that you can go out and not find anything like what I was talking about if you just look at a few spots.  People reported cuts from Juno to Melborne, even though most beaches were not producing treasure coins.

I don't tell you exactly which beach or beaches you need to visit. There are a lot of very good reasons for that.  I can't even explain all the reasons why that would be a very bad idea.  I think you can come up with some of them if you think about it yourself.

First of all I don't know about all the beaches.  The Treasure Coast is about a hundred miles long.  Even when I'm well I can only check a few of them myself.

Imagine that you have been putting in some long hard beach time to find something good and you finally have some success.  Then the Treasure Guide tells everybody to go to that spot, and hundreds of people swarm to your spot.   That wouldn't be very nice would it.   You'd be certain from that point on to never tell anybody anything again - certainly not the TreasureGuide - and that ends all of those nice beach reports that you like to read.

Like I said, I can't give you all of the good reasons, but here is another.  It takes the hunt out of treasure hunt.  I know some of you just want to find your first, but you'll appreciate it much more and learn much more from it if it isn't handed to you on a silver platter.

One big TV expert used to complain about my ratings being too this or that.  I was surprised that such a big expert would even need my ratings - or maybe would issue his own.

Here is another reason.  When there is one good spot, there is likely more than one good spot, and there are times when it can really pay off to take the path less traveled.

I've never been one to follow the other guy.  I'm an oldest child, and tagging along never appealed to me.  If I see a bunch of guys going one direction, I'm much more likely to go other direction.

My specialty for a long time was finding those places that seemed to be overlooked by almost everybody else, yet produced very well.  There are those kinds of places on the Treasure Coast too.

Years ago I did a poll in this blog asking people where they had found cobs in the last five years.  Here are the results of that poll.



Didn't find any.
  54 (72%)
Cocoa/Mellborne
  3 (4%)
Bonsteel
  0 (0%)
Sebastian Inlet to Ambersands
  0 (0%)
Golden Sands/ Treasure Shores
  0 (0%)
Wabasso
  2 (2%)
Seagrape/Turtle Trail
  4 (5%)
Between Turtle Trail and Rio Mar
  1 (1%)
Rio Mar
  0 (0%)
John Brooks/Frederick Douglass
  3 (4%)
Jupiter
  2 (2%)
Other Florida
  3 (4%)
Not in Florida
  7 (9%)


As you can see, there are six different Treasure Coast areas listed where people had found cobs during that time period. Some of them include more than one beach.  I know that cobs have been found at some of those other locations over the years since then.

The point of that is that the Treasure Coast includes a lot of areas, many of which will produce when conditions are right.  Some produce more often, and some have been producing more in recent years while others have not, but much of the Treasure Coast has produced some very good finds at one time or another.

I was thinking last night where I had found Spanish Colonial cobs or other identified Spanish Colonial artifacts over the years.  According to my best recollection, I came up with 18 different beaches, which ranged from a Caribbean Island, to the Florida Keys, South Florida, the Treasure Coast, and the Florida Panhandle.  At most of those locations I found only one or two.  The majority came from just a few beaches, but that is partly because I spent a good amount of time at those beaches.

You have to remember that there are some beaches that are not visited often by metal detectorists that have and will produced some remarkable finds when the time is right. 

The vast majority of my cobs came from one beach, but there is one other beach that is a not too distant runner-up.

The vast majority of my precious metals artifacts came from another beach.

And the vast majority of military artifacts (buttons, musket balls, etc.) came from another.

What I want you to know is that there is still a lot to be found, and they won't all come from the same one or two areas.

---

Bruce B. wrote and identified himself in a photo that I posed the other day.   He also said,
I left John Brooks and turned into Middle Cove when I saw no other cars there. I was able to dig a bunch of coins many of which were dated from the 70's and 80's so I didn't go home completely skunked. At John Brooks I got one penny and some aluminum and I was there about 4 hours.

Thanks Bruce.  
---

Sebastian Steve came through surgery well and now has two new stents.

Thanks for your prayers.

---

I'm expecting to receive some more find photos.

It looks like this week we'll have a two to four foot surf.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net