Wednesday, February 20, 2019

2/20/19 Report - Current Beach Renourishment on Treasure Coast. Encrusted Object for ID. Southeast Winds.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com


McLarty Museum Observation Deck Looking South.
Photo by Dale J.

Thanks Dale!

---

I'm ashamed.  I often mention how difficult it is to identify an item from a photo, and then I go and post two sides of an object without any indication of depth or the contour.  That is what I did yesterday, so I hope to correct the situation today with some additional views of the object I showed yesterday.  

Edge
Angled View


The metal has dissolved and the encrustation appears hollow.  The diameter of the round part is about seven inches and the edge or rim is barely over an inch.  One can assume that the object was somewhat smaller than the encrustation.

As you go from the outside of the round area towards the middle, it first become more thin and then bulges out in the middle.



Angled View of Other Side






And below are the same photos that were shown larger yesterday.







Thanks to those of you who already gave me your opinions without really having a fair shot at it.  I hope the new photos help.  I'm still looking for any and all ideas.

I have one idea, but I'd like to hear what others have to say first.

---

Last night I ran across a metal detecting TV show that was produced in 2013.  I think I might have watched it before, but I barely remembered any of it.  The name is Dig Wars and it was on the Destinations network.

Three or four pairs of  detectorist formed teams and hunted various historic locations.  At the end of the day, they had finds appraised to see which pair of detectorists had the highest total.  I think I remember seeing it years ago.  They seemed to find old and interesting items going back centuries most of the places they hunted, even though they only hunted each site one day and didn't turn the site upside down with heavy equipment -  just detectors and some small holes that were filled, or course.

---

We have a fairly strong southeast wind today.  I wouldn't be surprised if some spot opens up.  There is one in particular that might be expected to improve under these conditions.

The surf should be a little higher tonight and we are having some good high tides.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net