Friday, February 22, 2019

2/22/19 Report - Exploring and Finding Historic Artifacts in the Indian River Lagoon. Ancient Roman Coins Found on Tampa Beach.


Written by the TreasureGuide fore the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Source: See kayakingksc.com link below.

Álvaro Mexía on orders from the Governor of St. Augustine created a detailed map while exploring and recording the people and towns along the east coast. His journey is still easy to follow to this day and makes for an interesting kayak trip.

From June 1605 to July 1605 (mosquito & hurricane season on the east coast) Mexía mapped the coastal area of East Florida from Matanzas Inlet south to Hobe sound...

That excerpt is from the blog of a kayaking enthusiast who is also a history buff, amateur archeaologist, historian, and explorer of the Indian River Lagoon.

I think you'll find his blog interesting.

Here are a couple links that you might want to explore.



https://www.kayakingksc.com/Ais-Native-Americans-of-Kennedy-Space-Center.html

It seems he has made a lot of really nice sight finds.

There are some other great sections too, such as the one showing the paleo channels.

---

Barbara Ann wrote and asked if I heard about the ancient Roman coins found on a Tampa beach.  I hadn't, but then I looked into it.

It seems a detectorist in the Tampa area found seven ancient Roman coins on the beach.

Here is a link about that find.

https://www.lifedaily.com/story/tampa-treasure-hunter-unearths-rare-coins-on-florida-beach/

There was some speculation that the coins might mean that the Romans visited Florida before Columbus.  It sounds to me like this guy is trying out for a spot on Oak Island.

Without going through all the reasons why one could be skeptical of that conclusion myself, here is someone else's take on it.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/tampa-area-man-wonders-if-roman-coins-found-on-beach-prove-pre-columbian-european-presence-in-florida

I've been talking about the need to be skeptical of reality TV.  Social media is the same.

You might not need to use much discrimination on your detector, but you need a lot of discrimination when reading the news or the internet these days.

---

If you compare the Kayaking the Indian River Lagoon blog with the suggestion of Pre-Colombian Romans in America, the first source seems very trustworthy, while the second (Pre-Colombian Romans) makes me very skeptical.

I started to write a bit about the characteristic differences between trustworthy sources and those that you should cause suspicion.  Although I think that is a very important topic, it turned out to be  too long and complicated for a blog post, and it would take me quite a while to refine it.

---


I showed this encrusted object and asked if you had any ideas.  I received some good thoughts on the object, but one thing I thought it could be is a pulley.  Here is one example.


Tell me why I'm wrong.

Although pulleys come in different sizes and shapes, I've never seen one with such a bulging center but some might have a cover.

On the other hand, maybe it is just a wheel.  Take a look at the wheels on this wagon.  That is the closest I've found to the shape of the round part of the EO.


Well, I'm not sure yet.  All ideas and thoughts still appreciated.  Thanks.
---
Looks like the surf will remain small for a few days while the tides remain big.

Happy hunting.
TreasureGuide@comcast.net