Wednesday, September 4, 2019

9/4/19 Report - Metal Detecting Conditions on The Treasure Coast After Dorian. What I Know So Far.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Treasure Coast Beach This Morning.
I got out this morning and took a look at some beaches on South Hutchinson Island.  As you can see above, the waves were forming nicely with the west wind.

The bridges to South Hutchinson Island were open early.  I think the other bridges were too.  You could get over the Stuart causeway last night, but they wouldn't let you cross into St. Lucie County on A1A.  That has obviously changed by now.

Although the bridges were open, the parks were not.  The gates were closed at both John Brooks and Frederick Douglass.

I did see about seven detectorists on those two beaches.  I parked at a more southern access and walked a long way.  Others parked outside the gate and came in.


New Dune Eroded.
I saw almost no cuts.  The only cuts I saw from the Fort Pierce Inlet to about six miles south were just new dunes that were eroded, such as the one shown above.  Those were most common from Frederick Douglass and south.  High on the beach, just below those cuts were modern clad coins and pieces of aluminum cans.

There was a shell line, but not much of one.  Only smaller shells and pieces were in the line.  Not much else.  There were a very few pieces of fossil.

One Detectorist South of Frederick Douglass.

The water had been high, but not extremely.  I've seen it reach farther back on these beaches several times.

Looking North Towards Frederick Douglass.

The water had evidently washed directly up onto the beach and smoothed out the beach, including any previous cuts.

John Brooks Beach With Detectorist In The Distance

That is what the treasure beaches on South Hutchinson Island looked like.  Not very encouraging.

It could be better up in Indian River County were some of the beaches are fairly narrow and have step cliffs at the back.  I haven't been there and don't have any reports from there yet, so can't say for sure.

Yesterday Alberto S. sent me the following picture he saw on TV with a detectorist behind the TV reporter.


TV Image Captured by Alberto S. With Detectorist Enlarged.
Image by Alberto S.

That is all I can tell you at this time.  I haven't seen the Indian River or northern Treasure Coast beaches yet.

Perhaps I'll get reports from up there before long.  Some guys were out when Dorian just started to come in.

I'll let you know more as I find out.

---

Some people email me asking very specific questions about when, where and how.  You have to realize that I do this blog for free, and don't post ads or sell anything, unlike some of the others, and I spend a LOT of time gathering and posting this information.  I don't copy what others say or steal their material.  I am sorry to say that I am unable to provide free detailed personal guidance to everyone who asks.  That would take much more time than I have.  If I had free time, I'd rather spend it metal detecting myself.

---

That is all for now.  Maybe I'll get information on the Vero and Sebastian beaches.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net