Saturday, September 7, 2019

9/7/19 Report - A Few Post-Dorian Finds. South Hutchinson Island Beaches. Minelab Equinox Performance On Salt Sand.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

South Hutchinson Island Beach Early Saturday Morning.

---


Below are some post-Dorian finds from DJ.


Four Iron Finds by DJ
Photos by DJ

























Here is how DJ described these finds.

… The four pictures are the four pieces of iron I found yesterday and taken today after a night soak in white vinegar/water. Today I tried to chip a little off and you can see what happened. (Which I knew was a possibility from my research, but also electrolysis might damage them as well)

It really bothers me that I may not be able to preserve these, these are obviously old square straight and bent spikes (except for the shorter blob looking one). One looks as some wood remains.

They are a piece of an amazing history and world wide journey, they were found in a grouping (as you have often said) and in a small area of orange grainy sand (which you also mentioned)... 

DJ also found an unusual rectangular piece of silver.  When he was researcher it, he found a very similar piece that I found and posted in 2010.

Rectangular Silver Piece
Found by DJ 2019
Rectangular Silver Piece 
Found by TreasureGuide 2010

Below is what DJ said I about this silver find.


Yesterday I sent you a greenish flat almost perfect rectangle of metal that rang up 18+ on the NOX 800. My acid test kit came in with a greenish color change or .500 silver. I cannot imagine it is old or what it might have came from. it looked broken at each end. No markings visible.Maybe you have an idea. Here is a pic with scale.

And below is what I said about my find in my 11/7/2010 post.

Small Rectangular Piece of Silver Found on a Treasure Coast Shipwreck Beach Yesterday.

This is one of those types of finds that will probably never give up its secrets. It is definitely silver. I could tell that when I inspected it with a high power loop and when I did an acid test on it.


And it has definitely been exposed to salt water for some time. Close inspection of the considerable surface corrosion shows that. It has some age to it. I can tell it has been exposed for some time, but can't tell if the time period is years, decades or centuries.

The other side of the object is about the same and presently shows no markings.

The long oval mark in the middle of the object is where it could have been attached to something. The oval area is slightly raised even though you can't tell that from the photo. It could be a sprue if the item was formed using a mold. I don't know if that is the case, or, like I mentioned, it might have been attached to something else.

I suppose I will never know the age or identity of this little silver rectangle. The best chance of learning more about it is to clean it and see if there are any marks underneath the green. I'll probably do that someday, but won't hurry into it.

If any one has any ideas about this little silver piece, I'd appreciate receiving an email.


See http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2010/11/117-report-mystery-small-silver.html

---

Despite the fact that I expected some of the beaches in the Vero area to open today and I didn't get a chance to see them when I visited the area yesterday, I decided to use my limited time to explore some South Hutchinson Island beaches that I hadn't seen since the passing of Dorian and check out the performance of the Equinox 600, which I had not yet used at the beach.

I went out early this morning and found that the beaches I visited on South Hutchinson Island didn't look very promising at all - certainly not what you would hope to see after a hurricane passing nearby.  I expected the two days of north wind to do more to our beaches than it did, and even though I knew it didn't do much to John Brooks or Frederick Douglass, hoped that I would find a few better spots.  As it turned out they were not as good as John Brooks and Frederick Douglass.

The beaches shown at the top of the post and immediately below are fairly typical of what I've seen on South Hutchinson Island.  There is a lot of sand.  At least John Brooks and Frederick Douglass beaches had some cut dunes.

South Hutchinson Island Beach Early Saturday Morning.
Anyhow, I got a better idea of what the Equinox could do.  It was the first time I used the Equinox on the beach and in the wet salt sand.  I used the factory settings and the Beach 1 mode.

The Equinox did well at detecting small targets at depth in shelly sand.  I was actually surprised by how well it did.  It easily picked up nickels and small pieces of copper in the wet sand with water moving in and out over the sand, and it did not false when salt water washed over the coil.  I was impressed with that.  Small targets were found at good depth under fairly difficult conditions, and due to the lack of falsing, faint targets could easily be heard.

I have not found the conductivity numbers to be real useful yet.  Maybe that is because of the lack of experience I have with this detector, but it seems to me that the numbers are inconsistent (jump around), and there seems to be a lot of overlap with many different targets giving about the same numbers.

I found a line of coins and other metal running close to the water's edge on a convex beach front.  Also there were targets near the top of the beach just below the dunes.  Given the poor conditions, it was not the most productive detecting, but I did learn more about the Equinox, which is what I wanted to do.

Just to give an idea of what the Equinox was detecting at around six inches, here are a couple targets recovered in course loosely-packed shelly sand.

Thin Piece of Copper
The second piece is thicker than the first, and I'm not sure but I think it is also copper also.  It definitely is not iron.

Unknown Metal Suspected To Be Copper.
 Actually the first target I dug at the waters edge in mushy sand was a green modern nickel.

I just mention those finds to give some idea of the performance of the Equinox.

---

I was expecting the Indian River County beaches to be open today - at least most of them, but I don't know if they did.  I'd appreciate a report on that.

GB sent me the following message.


As a daily reader of your blog and a retired long term beach hunter I saw a question as to why the acceses at turtle trail and seagrape warrant manned attention. 


It is common knowledge, among some, that this area of Corrigans is treated by some officers as their private detecting beach especially after storm activity and discourage and restrict others.  As you may know they have made some impressive and valuable finds over the years. 

---

We won't be getting any more rough surf for a little while.

I expect to hear from some of the areas that I didn't get to detect this time and am expecting to see photos of more finds. I feel certain there will be some even though overall beach conditions weren't improved much.

I'll be watching some of the other weather systems that could come our way.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net