Sunday, March 13, 2011

3/14/11 Report - Detecting Tourist Areas and Lead Object



South Florida Weekend Finds.

If you are tired of banging your head against the tons of sand we have here on the Treasure Coast looking for 18th Century shipwreck treasures, you might take a Spring Break and hunt some of the big tourist and Spring Break beaches for a while. With the beautiful weather and all the beach goers it is not unusual to come up with some nice gold, and you know the price of gold these days.


As you know, I put a survey on this blog that asked about your favorite brand of detector. The survey results initially showed what I was expecting. Minelab took an early and big lead. That matched my personal observations on the Treasure Coast. But then all of a sudden, Garrett users started voting and quickly caught up with Minelab. It seemed like some kind of write-in campaign.

Anyhow Minelab and Garrett ended up tied for the top with each having 30% of the votes, followed by Whites with 19%.

Of course this survey wasn't scientific, but I found it interesting.

I put a new survey on the blog this morning. It asks about your oldest coin find.


Have you been watching the coverage of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan? The power of nature is amazing. When I watch the results of a natural disaster on TV, I can't help but notice how many things are lost and how many old things are uncovered and the good detecting spots that are created when the earth is moved by an earthquake, flood, tornado or hurricane. Yet I won't allow myself to focus on that. That, in my opinion, would be a pitiful response to human tragedy.

As humans, we are by nature self-centered, but also as humans, we can grow and develop. We can become less self-centered. We can put aside petty self-interests and consider the needs of others. We can pitch in and help those in need.

I recently mentioned how people often get their first cobs by being among the first to get out on the barrier islands immediately after a hurricane. That is how a lot of first finds are made. But I don't think that reflects well on the detecting hobby, or the human race for that matter.

I know that some people dream of the opportunity to hunt in the wake of a hurricane. I know that people can come up with all sorts of justifications and rationalizations for that, but when it comes down to it, what it represents is the ability of some people to ignore the needs and losses of others to pursue their quest for a little silver or gold. To me, that speaks of a poverty of spirit.

I understand that some people won't see it that way, but maybe someday when they are in need, they might wonder why people who could easily be helping them are too busy pursuing a trivial pursuit in the midst of a disaster.

Think about it.


Three Inch Long Lead Object Found

This was found this morning on a beach front. After a while, I thought I remembered seeing a picture of an object very much like this described as a lead stylus that was used to write on wax tablets.

If anyone knows where I can find a picture or description of an artifact like that I'd like to hear from you. Or if you think I am way off track and it is something else, please let me know.

It has no holes or anything other than one end being more pointed than the other. It fits the hand like a pencil very well.


Forecast and Conditions.

The wind is out of the southeast this morning and there are some shell piles and some scalloped beaches. The seas are running about three feet.

I'd call conditions for finding cobs on the Treasure Coast poor. There are however some areas where there are some deep hard-to-dig artifacts on the beach fronts.

I found the lead item above in an area like that this morning, and in the same area I found a shipwreck spike. I had to leave some items for another time.

As I mentioned above, there are also a lot of busy tourist beaches in Florida right now and some good water hunting if you want to do a little day trip.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net