Thursday, September 15, 2011

9/15/11 Report - Old Metal Detectors and Some Florida History


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



A Couple Young Fellows Using an Early Detector on the West Coast of Florida.
(At Left.)

It appears to be one of those old military detectors. I don't know who the guys are. I would guess the photo to be from back around the fifties or sixties.

Notice the flash lights.

Think of using that. Its not exactly light weight.

And could you believe they had underwater detectors decades ago. Below is a photo showing an old detector being used underwater.

Doesn't look like the most ergonomic design.

I thought these photos were neat. They show a little metal detector and treasure hunting history.

Art McKee Using Underwater Detector. (To right.)

These photos are in the Florida Memory photo archives, Division of Library and Information Services.

One reader sent me an email with some old photos and I decided to look for more. These are a few that I found.

Before I continue, I want to comment on Art McKee for those of you who don't know who he is. Art was one of the well known treasure hunters that operated in the Keys back a few decades ago. He had a museum on Plantation Key. I think the building is still there even though I haven't been down there for a number of years and so am not entirely sure.

Art was a friendly guy that would talk to anyone, personally lead you through his museum, or even take you out to dive with him. He wasn't like the guys that try to keep everything secret and guarded. He freely shared his experiences, and would even take you out and show you where he was finding things.

The last time I talked to him, I was down in the Keys and stopped by his museum, which wasn't' open at the time, but he happened to be there and came out and talked for a while.

I liked his style. He tried out a lot of new and different approaches and was really a pioneer.

Since I'm talking about Art, I guess I'll add one more photo that shows the old helmet.



Art Being Suited.


Switching topics, the St. Luci Metal Detecting club is having a club hunt on Saturday. For more information contact Bernie C. via email at twiprod001@att.net.


Do you know about the dollar coins that the US is minting. Well, not only is the US printing money, it is also producing tons of one-dollar coins, each of which costs 30 cents to make, and has a face value of $1.

A 2005 law requires the reserve bank to keep ordering the coins even though the vaults are over flowing. No one seems to want to use these new coins and the reserve banks are just storing them. My local bank didn't even seem to know about them.

It is another way to devalue the dollar, reduce the deficit and redistribute the wealth. Simply minting money in addition to printing it.

Here is the link if you want to read more about those one-dollar coins.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-09-07/news/bs-md-fed-coins-20110906_1_coins-fed-board-reserve-banks


Treasure Coast Beach Forecast and Conditions.

Maria is headed into the North Atlantic. There is one new tropical wave coming off of Africa. It is too soon to say much about that.

There is a full moon and the water is still getting pretty high up on the beach.

The swells are running around 2 to 2.5 feet for the next few days. There are still some nice surfing waves. With the west winds and the sand piled up in front of the beaches, the waves are breaking real nice in some spots.

The waves looked higher than what I expected to see this morning. They aren't causing any erosion though. I do think there is enough force hitting the front beaches to freshen them up some. The same for the shallow water areas.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net