Thursday, September 22, 2011

9/22/11 Report - Mystery Object From Jupiter & Odyssey Marine


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Object Found in the Jupiter Beach Area.


Bill T. submitted the photos of this find.


The object is almost the size of a quarter - just a slightest touch smaller. Bill says it looks like yellow brass and thinks it could be a livery button.

Any information, thoughts or opinions about the object would be appreciated. Send your ideas to TreasureGuide@comcast.net.

Here is a nice web site where you can view a lot of livery buttons. Many do have the lion design.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/B/buttons.htm


Back of Same Object.


I don't know if you noticed, but Odyssey Marine stock surged Monday and Tuesday, going from around $2.70 to $3.50 per share in just two days. There was no particular news given to account for the gains. Some articles mentioned some old news as a supposed reason for the sharp increase but there was really nothing that would account for the gains in those articles. Some articles mentioned the SS Gairsoppa, and some mentioned the 17th century wreck found at the mouth of the Thames, and some mentioned the Black Swan and the possibility of a favorable court ruling, but all of that is old news and in my opinion couldn't really account for the sharp price increase.

Well Wednesday the stock price for OMEX dropped like a lead balloon - decreasing about 33% all of a sudden. That confirmed my suspicion that some big investors were manipulating the market. I've seen OMEX stock do something very similar a few times before, and I expect to see it again in a few months. My suspicions were confirmed for my own satisfaction when I learned of some very unusual options trading activity that was taking place - really huge and unusual amounts of puts being sold and bought.

I'm not an expert on all of this, but it looks like you can get caught in some big waves when a few big investors play games with the stock of a small company. If you can figure out what they are doing, you might be able to take advantage of it in the future, but if you don't know what is going on, you can really get hurt.

I wonder if you know what happened right after last time that Odyssey Marine stock took a big nose dive? I won't tell you now, but I'm going to watch and see if it happens again.


Even though I don't think it has much to do with the recent changes in the stock's price, you still might find the following article interesting.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/09/20/whoa-what-just-happened-to-my-stock/?source=TheMotleyFool

And you might want to read about the 17th Century shipwreck found at the mouth of the Thames. Here is the link to that story.

http://www.sail-world.com/USA/Discovery-of-English-shipwreck-at-the-mouth-of-the-Thames/88646

I also thought it was interesting how some people are tracking the movements of Odyssey Marine's research vessels using online marine tracking tools. For one thing, they noticed that the Russian research vessel that Odyssey is using and another Odyssey vessel, which was working at another site, met at the site of the Gairsoppa and then returned to dock. The conclusion was that something either really bad or something really good happened with the Gairsoppa.

Interesting!

Here is the link to a story that tells about that.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/294720-odyssey-marine-whether-the-280m-gairsoppa-shipwreck-recovery-is-imminent


The St. Lucie Metal Detecting Club will hold their first meeting on Saturday, October 8th at Duffy's on US1 in Jensen Beach. The club now has 41 members, 34 local and 7 from out of town.

If any of the other clubs in the area want me to mention meetings or activities, I'll usually be able to do that.

I'm sure that the quick growth of this new club is due largely to the publicity provided by this blog.


Bob H. wrote in and asked if I had any information on what appeared to be an old steamer being towed by a tug off the treasure coast the afternoon/evening?

Unfortunately I didn't see it and don't know anything about it. I wish I had seen it.

If you know have any information on this, let me know and I'll share it.



A satellite about the size of a school bus is about to reenter the earth's atmosphere. Not much chance that any of it will land on a Treasure Coast beach - but some, I guess.

Here is the link.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/09/21/woman-gets-hit-by-space-junk-lives-to-tell-tale/

I really like the animated map that shows all of the space junk floating around. There might be salvage vessels out there picking up that stuff some day.


Treasure Coast Beach Forecast and Conditions.

It appears that Ophelia is not going to develop into a hurricane anytime soon. She is also going to stay to the East of us and probably won't affect us much.

There were nice heavy rains along much of the Treasure Coast this morning.

The wind is still from the southeast and beach conditions will remain unchanged or the next few days, with the seas running around 2 feet.



Happy hunting
TreasureGuide@comcast.net