Wednesday, September 28, 2011

9/28/11 Report - Still Summer Weather Conditions


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Salvage Vessel Working at Nieves Site This Morning.


It is kind of late in the year for the salvage season. We are still getting those southeast winds that bring hot humid air and relatively calm seas. Conditions should be improving as the seasons change and we get out of the summer weather patterns.


Oct. 8 is the first club meeting for the new St. Lucie Metal Detecting Club, and Oct. 15th they'll have a club hunt. The club hunt is really creative and very appropriate for October. You can also join the guys for a hunt this Saturday.

For information on any of that call Bernie C. at 786-246-9335.


There are a lot of places that you can get good leads on interesting places to detect. You'd never think of some of the places where you will get good leads. I just stumbled onto a good resource that I'll talk about sometime in the future.

I guess if you read a lot and are well informed you'll run into good leads.


Green Turtle Beach This Morning After High Tide.

Pretty mushy. Didn't look any good at all.

The water had been getting up pretty high at high tide but not high enough to do much good.

There are two named tropical storms in the Atlantic now, Ophelia and Philippe. Ophelia is the closer of the two, but will stay far out to sea and go into the mid Atlantic. Philippe is still very far away.

Normally in October of November we get a nice Northeaster that improves the local hunting conditions. I don't remember that happening last year. In fact, 2010 and 2011 have been the worst years for hunting cobs on the Treasure Coast that I can remember. I'm sure there must have been another bad year or two like this, but I don't remember them. It has been very poor for such a long time, with very few and only very small breaks.

As I've said before, November through February have been my best hunting months for finding shipwreck cobs over a period of about twenty years. This summer was poor, as summers usually are, except for the occasional storms and hurricanes.

Things should start to improve soon.

Here is one place where I saw a little erosion begin. This spot was starting to peal. I don't know if it continued. The tide was on the way down so I suspect that it didn't do much.


One Location Where a Layer of Shells Was Being Uncovered.

As I mentioned yesterday, be aware of the layers. It will help you understand what is going on and where to look.

I saw one spot today where the beach was scalloping and fairly large rocks were being left on the beach. I detected around there a little and found a few things that I need to clean and identify. They were pretty deep in fine sand in the scalloped area. The rocks were the first indicator.

I don't have time to get into a lengthy discussion today, so will keep that for some other time.

The sea will be calm for the next couple of days and then get rougher on the weekend. Unfortunately, as is often the case, the surf web sites have already decreased the predicted seas for the weekend, but not by much.


I'm a little late getting the report in today, so I'll keep some of the other topics for another day.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net