Thursday, September 8, 2011

9/8/11 Report - Today's Conditions, Small Cuts, and WTC Shipwreck

Written by TreasureGuide exclusively for treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Unidentified Metal Find.

When I first dug this up I thought it might be a meteorite. I don't think so now. It has what looks like "thumb prints." That is what the little dips on a meteorite are called. It isn't' magnetic. Some meteorites aren't attracted to a magnet, but most are. Just a strange looking piece of metal. Sort of unusual to me. Things like this just get my curiosity going. Its not iron or silver. I'm starting to think titanium, maybe.


I found a really interesting article about the shipwreck that was uncovered on the site of the World Trade Center during construction for the new towers. This isn't just more of the same, but a good analysis of the wood and some of the possible history of the vessel.

I thought it was especially appropriate since I've been talking a bit about wood finds lately. They actually did a tree ring analysis to determine the date of the tree that was used for the keel.

Here is the link.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/secrets-of-wtc-ship-revealed-110907.html


I got some emails about detectorists leaving open holes and junk on the beach. You shouldn't do that. There are too many places that do not permit detecting because of stuff like that. Don't jeopardize the hobby. And if you remove the junk, you wont' have to dig it up the next time out. Our beaches should really be much cleaner than they are.

I received a photo from Bernie C. showing a small cut yesterday. From the photo it looked less than a foot high. I'll have to come up with a good name for small cuts like that.

Not all cuts are equal. Some are big and some are small, but more importantly, some are in productive areas and some aren't.

Small cuts in recently accumulated sand usually aren't worth bothering with. On the other hand, a small cut on a beach that was already eroded or a small cut in sand that hasn't been disturbed for quite a while might be worth checking.

Size isn't everything. Location of the cut and the history and condition of the beach is important. In the right place, a very small cut can be very productive.


Treasure Coast Beach Forecast and Conditions

A Treasure Coast Beach This Morning Near Low Tide.

We had some waves today, but the wind was from the west. Surfers were out. A few detectorists were out too.

The swells were coming almost directly onto the beach. I didn't see any cuts at the spots I looked at today.

There were some very nice shell piles. If you are a shell collector it might be worth taking a look.

I heard the waves were a little bigger at the north end of the Treasure Coast and considerably bigger up at Indialantic.

I didn't see anything that would cause me to change my beach detecting conditions rating for the Treasure Coast from poor.

It has been a really long time since we had good conditions for detecting treasure coins on the Treasure Coast.

I don't think conditions are as good today as they were two days ago. At least not where I was.

The sea will be backing off a bit the next couple of days.

The thing to watch now is Marie, which is projected to track east of us like Irene did. It is too early to say now though. I'd keep an eye on Marie.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net