Tuesday, January 10, 2012

1/10/12 Report - Precolumbian Gold & Mystery Object


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Mayan Artifact Found at Sitio Conte.

Below is a link to a video about the discovery of gold and other artifacts at Sitio Conte. When a river changed course, an ancient Mayan site where gold items were manufactured was revealed. The video is a somewhat outdated promotion for a museum showing, but it I think you'll find it interesting. I did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz5LR1duz6A

I stumbled onto that video when researching an old item that I found. In the search I also discovered the following 62-page book extract. It is a great resource. Almost makes me want to make a trip to Panama.

It presents a lot of information, including maps related to Precolumbian sources of gold.

Here is the address.

http://www.stri.si.edu/sites/publications/PDFs/Cooke_GoldanPower03.pdf

It is a pdf file, so it is a little slow to load.


Here is a mystery item that was found on a Treasure Coast beach. I haven't been able to determine what it is. I've had some opinions offered on what it is but I want to get your fresh opinions. I certainly haven't come to a postive conclusion on what it is.

The four holes shown on the front do not go all the way through so it does not look like it was attached to the face of anything.

You can see the edge. There is a space through it, left to right if the object is oriented to be taller than wide, but most of the sides are closed. The object is hollow.

It is nearly two inches long.

Please let me know if you have any ideas about what it might be.


The wind is from the south today. Another very nice day. No improvement in conditions though.

And it looks like there will be no significant change for a couple of more days.

Daniel B. sent me some photos showning the renourishment project at Treasure Shores. So that means more sand on the beaches there.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net