Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1/17/12 Report - Cuts and Al. Cultural Resources Legislation

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Some Cuts on the Treasure Coast Tuesday Morning.


These were mostly two to three foot cuts.

They weren't as productive as they look like they might be. There is still a lot of mush sand at the base of the cuts and out in the surf. These aren't well positioned either. They are in recently accumulated sand. Nonetheless, you can't pass something like this up without at least taking a look.

On the one photo you can see seaweed at the base of the cut. That tells you the cut isn't fresh. Some filling took place, even if just a little, since the cut originally occurred.

At one location I was finding some deep coins. I think if I was a little earlier, maybe yesterday, they would have been found closer to the surface.



Yesterday I found some older stuff at one beach. That is a good sign. Watch for what I call "signal finds." Signal finds aren't the type of things you are targeting, but they provide information that other things of a similar type or age might be nearby.

Return to areas where you find signal finds. Sometimes you'll see that conditions have improved enough for more things to be found.

It seems that the areas down south around Stuart got cut better than many places. Good things were recently found down around Sailfish Point and Bathtub Beach. I haven't heard of many coming from other locations.

I'll keep my Treasure Coast Treasure Beach Conditions Rating at a 2. My scale is a five point scale, with one indicating poor conditions and five indicating excellent conditions.

I expect a downgrade in a day or so. The seas will be calming down, according to the surf web sites.


Alabama is considering a bill to amend its Cultural Resources Act. This relates to what I've been talking about lately and is well worth reading.

Here is the link.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/01/new_alabama_law_could_mean_fin.html


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net