Tuesday, October 15, 2013

10/15/13 Report - Oldest Settlement in the County, Shell Containing Mystery Object, Detector Repair Service & More


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.



Remains of a Coquina Fireplace: A Remnant of a Part of the Earliest Settlement in St. Lucie County.
Source:  http://rickinbham.tripod.com/TownOfSIRD/SIRD_Homes_4111_SIRD.html


The above is said to be the oldest remains of a house in St. Lucie County.  Carved into the rock is the date 1884.

Do you know where it is?  I'll tell you below.






























Shell Containing Concretion and Metal Object











First, here is something I'd like some help with.

I found this shell, which is filled with hard concretion.  It also contains an unknown metal object - not iron.  I can tell that from the signal the metal detector gives.  No part of the metal object is visible.

The shell is about seven inches from top to bottom.

Here is my question.  How should I free the object without harming it.  Of course at this point I have no idea if the concealed metal object is junk or treasure.  And the concretion is very hard.

I want to hear your ideas before I begin the project.




Do you know where the oldest white settlement was located in St. Lucie County?  \

Did you know about Susanna?

Susanna was a settlement created as the result of the Armed Occupation Act of 1842.

The coquina chimney is by St. Lucie River north of Midway Road on lands originally granted to William B Davis under the Armed Occupation Act to settle the area.  The settlers were to live more than three miles form the nearest fort and were supposed to defend themselves.

The coquina fireplace shown above was a part of one building that was part of the settlement of Susanna which was along South Indian River Drive.

Use the source link above to learn more about Susanna and the early history of the Indian River Drive area.

You'll find some really neat articles and a lot of history.


I recently sent in an Excalibur for repairs.  I found the Minelab web site and called them.  The first lady that I talked to asked what model I had, gave me an number to put on the outside of the package and gave me the address to sent it to - the Minelab service center in Orlando.  It was all done professionally and efficiently.

If my detector was considered obsolete, I think that would have been determined at that time and before I sent it in.  I advise calling and talking to any detector repair center and telling the situation and asking questions before sending a detector for repairs.

In a previous post I told you about using priority mail, which cost me about $9.  That was much cheaper than the smallest flat rate priority mail box I could have used.

Not long after the Excal arrived at the service center, a man called me, explained what he tought needed to be done, explained the options and alternatives as well as the cost of the various alternatives.  That was also done very professionally.  I told him which of the alternatives I wanted done, and the repairs were made.  Shortly after that a billing person called with the final amount due, and I made the payment.

The turn around time was excellent.  A couple of years ago when I had repairs made to an Excal by Minelab, the turn around time was considerably longer and in my opinion unacceptable.  This time it was done quickly.  A day or two after talking to the billing person that detector showed up on my doorstep.

The repairs, including new headphones and seals, was not inexpensive, but it was done quickly and effectively.

Although it was not cheap, I was very pleased with the service provided.

If you've been reading this blog on a regular basis, you know that I will complain about service when it is not good.  I am not trying to make points with Minelab, but I was pleased with the performance of the service center.  Everybody I talked to through the process communicated well and did their job.

I have tested the repaired detector and it works fine now.


I visited five beaches today.  Three were convex and the front beaches were definitely building.  I only bothered to take my detector out of the car at two of the five beaches.

The best of the five had a very small cut at the top of the slope and some shells close to the water.   You can find some spots that are better than others if you look around enough, but even the better beaches are not all that good.  Mostly the beaches are building and sandy.

I dug a few targets including the above shell.  I'll have some more pictures soon.

There is one stormy area east of us, which has only a 10% chance of developing into a cyclone, but even if it does, it will probably be north of us by then.

We are still stuck with a 2 - 4 foot surf.

The low tides are still pretty high.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net