Friday, October 4, 2013

10/4/13 Report - Tropical Storm Karen, Using Cob Weights & Obsolete Metal Detectors


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


National Hurricane Center Map.
The big news today is Karen.  She is headed for the Gulf Coast, seemingly west of Mobile.
The prediction is that she will hit the coast as a tropical storm.

On the Treasure Coast expect fairly high tides but little surf.  The surf here will be only around 1 - 2 feet.


Back in my 9/16/13 post I showed a picture of a cob found by William M.   And in my 9/17/13 post I gave the weights for the various denomination of reales.

Getting a weight for an unmarked cob can be helpful.  It can help you determine the denomination, if it isn't marked enough to tell from the markings.  It can also help you determine what material it is made of and if it might be a fake.

A minted half reale was supposed to be just a touch over 1.7 grams.  We know that they weren't always minted at exactly the proper weight.

Cob Find and Photos by William M.
 Here are the two sides of one of William's cobs.  He got the weight for it, and it is only 1.1 grams.  That is light for even a beach-found half reale, though by the weight I would guess that it is indeed a half reale.

The proper weight for a quarter reale would be just over .8 grams.

My experience suggests that beach found cobs are almost always a little under weight.  This one is more underweight than most, but by looking at the photo, it does look like it has lost a lot of silver to corrosion.

It is only about 70% of its mandated minted weight.



You've undoubtedly heard about the Florida collection of treasure coins and artifacts.  But have you ever seen it?   I'd bet not.   Wouldn't you like to see it?


The Florida collection includes the coins and artifacts provided to the state by the salvage companies that work along the Florida coast.

It is much more likely that you've seen treasure coins and artifacts at the Fisher museum.  Just look at the recent poll results.  People really want to see things like that.

Odyssey Marine Explorations also has a traveling display.



Here is an overview of the Florida coin collection as summarized from Alan Craig's book on the subject.

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=vx&list=hflorida&month=0211&msg=k1v7yDLaCkBbLDzaiiH5Bg


Florida Statute 267.061 seems to provide for the preservation of historic properties, and I think also historic artifacts.  I think the Florida Collection is held by the Division of Historic Resources.   I'll have to look to see if I can find or relocate exactly where the collection is held.

Here is the link that describes the state's responsibilities for preservation of historic resources.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfmApp_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0200-0299/0267/Sections/0267.061.html



Yesterday I talked about the limitations of Tesoro's advertised lifetime warranty that to me actually makes it something that you can not really call a lifetime warranty.  I noticed that other detector makers list "obsolete" detectors that they no longer have the parts to repair.  The difference is that I haven't seen the others use the term "Lifetime Warranty" in their marketing.

Most of those obsolete detectors are only obsolete because they don't have the parts to repair them.  Some of them are just as good as the many of the new detectors and some had some excellent features that would come in handy.

I personally wish we had some electronics guys that would repair old detectors, but haven't yet found any.  I used to have one guy that primarily restored old radios.  He as able to repair most metal detectors.  Sound like a decent business for someone.  I'm almost tempted to learn some electronics.

If you know anyone that can repair old detectors, let me know.

I wonder if Rick Dale would restore old detectors?

Here is a quick clip showing pretty much what you can expect to see on the Treasure Coast beaches these days.   I don't expect much change anytime soon.



Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net