Sunday, July 20, 2014

7/20/14 Report - Mystery Item, N. C. Beach Hot Spot Still Producing, 1909 VDB Penny & Construction Project Finds


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


Part of the old path I detected last week.
Back in my 7/16/14 post I showed a ton of finds including reales and other old coins and relics that were found by our friend GoldNugget on a North Carolina Beach. He made another trip back to the same location and spent 13 hours in the field one day, and he found a lot more. I'll have a report on his new finds in the future.

If you didn't see his finds in the 7/16/14 report, you should go back and take a look at that post.

When I talk about things like this there are always lessons to be learned. What GoldNugget showed us illustrates some things that I've talked about before. One thing that it shows is that some hot spots are not near parking lots or beach walk-overs, and if you can find one of those hot spots, it can be like your personal hot spot which you might be able to mine for a long time. I'm sure some good spots are still out there to be found on the Treasure Coast if you want to invest the time and hard work to check out some of the areas that aren't so easy to get to.

GoldNugget says he'll be sending photos of his latest finds from that location.

I've been talking about some experiences and detecting principles that were illustrated to me on my last trip up north. It can be fun to try out another type of environment once in a while, especially when beach conditions are not good here on the Treasure Coast.  I proved on my last trip up north that many of the principles that work on the Treasure Coast also work in very different types of environments.

One of the things I found on the old path shown above was a 1909 VDB penny, which cointrackers says would be worth over $6.00 even in poor condition.  If it had the S mint mark it would be $600 to $1200.

http://cointrackers.com/coins/13494/1909-vdb-wheat-penny/

Check your finds, even pennies.

That penny, like the Large Cent that was found on nearby steep hillside, was not deep.  It was found on a down-slope of the old path that erodes a little every year.  Part of that path is shown above.  The 1909 penny was in the top couple inches of packed dirt/clay.   I explained before how I emphasize searching areas where good old things can be found in the top few inches.

I detected that same path briefly back a few years ago and found a 1940s class ring as well as relics from the days of horse travel, including a horse shoe and brass bell.  I don't remember which detector I used then.


Various Types of Finds From Recent Hunts Up North.

Yesterday I showed these items that I found while hunting up north last week. 

I don't know what the one item is?  In the cap at the top it has screw threads, so it was screwed onto something.  Please let me know if you know what it is.

Another thing about that brass item that appears as if it was once gilted and which was found in an old yard, is that it was found in a hole with a nail, bolt, and piece of aluminum.  Three pieces of junk were in the same hole with the item.  The relic was deeper than the old coins I just talked about.

The junk would make it easy to miss an item like that if you are relying on target ID or discrimination.

Someday before long I'll make a video showing how a detector will respond to various targets when using different modes.   I'll show the display screen when different targets are close together or on top of each other.


Artifacts From Construction Project
Photo source: nbcphiladelphia.com





A lot of artifacts, including those shown here, were recovered from an I-95 construction project in Philadelphia. There are unimaginable numbers of artifacts out there waiting to be discovered.

Below is the link.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/History-of-Philly-Rests-Under-I-95-267411931.html


On the Treasure Coast you might have seen some of the signs reading Big Choo Choo. It seems that there are plans to drastically increase the number of trains running through the Treasure Coast and a lot of people are against it for various reasons.  There is a petition drive going on . If you've seen those signs and wonder what all of that is about, here is a link to read more about it.

http://www.floridanotallaboard.com/


 On the Treasure Coast we're still stuck with a one to two foot surf.  It has to change someday.

Until then beach detecting conditions remain poor.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net