Friday, January 19, 2018

1/19/18 Report - Handy Ancillary Equipment. Incas Book. Meteorite Earthquake. Big Surf Predicted.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Inexpensive Light.

I decided to talk about some products that I've found very useful for metal detecting.  I've found all of them useful as well as durable and reliable.

I got the light shown above at Harbor Freight when I picked up some other things before Hurricane Irma.  I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise, but it has proven to be very useful.  It has a directional torch that  you can see on the front as well as the lamp, but it also has magnet on the back and  a hook on the top so you can mount it in various ways.  The hook folds into the  back if you don't need it..   It has come in handy a variety of times.  It fits in a pocket and can be hung with the hook or attached to a metal surface. Stick it to your car trunk or garage door and you'll find it useful when you are holding your equipment and trying to find your keys.  Would also work well in a boat.

Headlight.

If you detect at night or search abandoned buildings, a headlight like the one shown above can be very handy.  Much better than a flashlight.

I've mentioned this one before, but I have an inexpensive battery tester that .I've used for about forty years and still works fine.  Very handy for checking detector batteries.

I recently got excellent Nikon binoculars.  Very good image at great distances.  I can easily look a mile or so up the beach and see any cuts or whatever.

I've also found rechargeable batteries very helpful.

Also waterproof containers that hold a wallet and cell phone or whatever.  I use those when water hunting or beach hunting.  Better than leaving things in the car.

One other thing I sometimes like to use is a hoodie with a hood big enough that I can wear it over headphones.  Not only does it help keep me warm, but it also cuts down on wind noise.

Reel Legends Performance Clothing makes both pants and shirts that have lots of pockets and useful features.  They make sunblock clothing too, which is a good idea, especially if you don't like suntan lotion.

My Reel Legends pants have maybe close to twenty pockets of different types  and sizes.  They are ideal for carrying accessories such as a pinpointer or whatever, and the pockets can be secured in various ways.  Some pockets have Velcro or buttons and some are on the inside and hidden.  Excellent for securing finds.

For over twenty years I've used motion-activated security cameras around my house.  If the UPS person or anyone shows up when I'm not home, I have good video of them and their vehicle.  For example, since I sometimes ship my detector when I travel, I wasn't home one time when the detector was delivered, and I didn't find it even though I had a notice that it had been delivered.  I checked the video and saw the mailman place the package behind some porch furniture where I didn't see it.

The motion-activated cameras are not inexpensive, but I really like having them.  They are excellent and work well for a number of years in the weather.

---

Earthquake-causing meteor leaves southeast Michigan residents awestruck was the ABC News headline, despite the fact that researchers said the meteor, which was seen over five states, did not cause the earthquake.

You can preview the book, The Last Days Incas by Kim MacQuarrie free online.  If you like reading about conquistadors and treasure, click here.

I read part of it and found it interesting.

---

The big news today is a prediction I noticed in MagicSeaWeed.  They are predicted a big surf for the 27th.

Here is the prediction for the Fort Pierce area.

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com
We've had some cold this year.  Some people say that Florida doesn't have seasons.  I think we definitely do.  The leaves might not change color but the license plates do.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net