Tuesday, January 9, 2018

1/9/18/ Report - Treasure Coast Find That Could Be Millions of Years Old. A Few Tips. Coin Show.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Sloth is said to be one of the seven deadly sins.  Sloth can be defined as the desire for ease and the aversion to effort.  When it comes to metal detecting, it might not be a deadly sin, but it will hold you back.  Years ago when I was really doing some serious detecting, I had a saying that I often repeated to myself and told one or two other people.  It goes: if you don't want to do it, do it.  To me that was good advice for metal detecting. You won't likely follow that advice if you are just out for a day of leisurely detecting.

I was not at all slothful back then.  I realized that very often my best detecting came from hunting in unpleasant weather or rough water, walking a long distance to a site that was difficult to get to, detecting a steep slope that was near impossible to stay on without a rope tied to a tree, or working a site that was covered with rocks that made digging with a scoop impossible.  Those are just a few examples.

I'm want to talk a little about another kind of sloth today: the giant ground sloth that was about as big as an elephant and roamed Florida between 2.6 and 0.6 million years ago.  Florida has more than its fair share of slothful characters today, but I wanted to talk about the extinct ground sloth because a piece of one on a Treasure Coast beach just last week (See photos immediately below.)


Three Views of the Same Item.



I think the item shown above is a giant sloth tooth - obviously broken.  I could be wrong about the ID, so If I am, please let me know.



Below is one that was found years ago.  As I recall, it was identified by a smart fossil guy.  It is in better shape.

Fossil Sloth Tooth

If you like to find really old stuff, keep your eyes out for old fossils and think about the amazing creatures that once roamed Florida.

---

I dug this with the coins from the cut that I talked about the other day.  Do you know what it is?

EO.
You'll find the answer below.

---

2018 Vero Beach Coin Show

The 54th Annual Vero Beach Coin Show will be held January 20 – 21, 2018 at the Vero Beach Community Center.  The address is 2266 14th Ave, Vero Beach, Fl. This is a very busy show with over 1100 people attending the show every year.   For further information please contact Scott Anderson at verocoinshow@gmail.com.
You can also visit treasurecoastcoinclub.org.

...

Massachusetts got record tides and coastal flooding during the storm.

See how bad it was.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/01/04/here-how-bad-coastal-flooding-was-during-thursday-storm/HCU6EZbtcN94FfScmuGM3M/story.html

---

EO With Some Crust Chpped Off

The EO was a stinkin zincin.

---

The Treasure Coast surf could be up to seven feet today.  Not bad.

The wind will not be from the best direction, but their are locations that can cut anyhow - mostly those with some type of barrier to the natural flow of sand.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net

Remember: for best results, don't be slothful.