Monday, January 1, 2018

1/1/18 Report - Ringing Out The Old Year With Two Rings. The Big Hole Story. #4 Popular Post of 2017. 2018 Looks Promising Already.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Happy New Year!!!


Chris N. sent the following email message and photo of his last finds of 2017 which included two rings a military button and a variety of other things. 

Here is the last of 2017 finds. Not a bad day...

Here is a great days worth from Central Florida Area beaches that I was able to accomplish after a few hard hours of "Beach Metal Detecting". As ya'll can see lots of various items. Modern Clad, Two Rings one with Diamond, the other Silver Wedding Band, or Pinky Ring. A Copper ship nail, copper wire twist. melted Titanium or Tin? A data Plate from Berlin Gardens? Washers, Nail Head, .38 Shell Casing, and some sort of Tee Key, another Older Auto Key and washer. fishing weight,

Note* the Button at top was very rusted ,I got a very faint hit on the target when I dug it up No Idea what it is? It appeared to have some sort of Munition Design of Military Unit, but its to corroded to actually make out.


I pray you all have a Great New Year 2018, and wonderful hunt finding items where ever you hunt.


Finds and photo by Chris N.
Good way to ring out the Old Year - twice.

---

Yesterday I showed a nice big hole on the beach with a scoop half buried in it.  I didn't tell the story of the person that dug it though.

Here is a note from Eric H. that tells the story that goes with the hole.

After a long break, I finally managed to hit the beach again today.  I went to the north end of the Treasure Coast (I don't want to say exactly where because I may return to try again) around low tide and within 10 minutes I had an interesting item at the low tide line.  The thing was massive and approximately 9 feet long.  My best guess is that it was approximately 10 inches in diameter.  I was very excited and initially hoped it was a cannon, but it may have been a cast iron pipe.  I dug and dug and dug and I couldn't get the massive thing exposed enough to see it, let alone retrieve it.  Being at the low tide line, occasionally the tide would come over my hole, refilling it with sand and water, and of course, with every scoop of sand I took out, it simply caved in and refilled itself.  I managed to get my hands on it, but couldn't get a visual as it was down too deep.  It felt like it had a type of "dorsal ridge" on the top that I think I may have accidentally broken off while trying to get it out because it was very sharp and jagged on the top later in the dig (it wasn't initially).  I tried to dig down beside it and stick my hand down on its side and it felt like a cylinder, but in one area of it's side it felt square. I never could get my hand deep enough to get under it.  I was alone (but attracted many Lookie Lou's).  Maybe if I had had a bucket with me and I could have scooped out the water I could've at least gotten a visual on it.  If I had had some help I may have been able to get it out. But after literally hours of trying to retrieve that one early target, I was exhausted and besides, the tide was coming back in and filling the area more and more frequently.  I will send photos of iron debris I retrieved from the hole and of the hole itself in another email...

Items That Came Out of the Hole That Did Not Give Up The Big Target.
Photo by Eric H.

Eric also asked a few questions, which I attempted to answer for him.

I guess some of the iron he dug could have come off the big target.

---

Eric's experience reminded me of what coincidentally was the the forth most popular post of 2017.  I was listing the top ten but skipped a day yesterday after I got that picture of a huge dug hole from Eric.  Blogger was giving me a lot of trouble and I lost a lot of what I originally typed.  Anyhow I'll pick back up with my list where I left off.  The forth most popular post of the year was the 6/29 post entitled, Army Corps To Metal Detect Large Part North Hutchinson Island. Diagnostic Artifacts Web Site.

That post discussed the plans of the Army Corps to detect large parts of the Treasure Coast to identify munitions or other remains of the military training exercises that were conducted on the Treasure Coast.  The project might not have included the area where Eric was detecting, but bombs have been found on the beach before and that is something you should be aware of.

The post also gave a link for a nice web site that would assist in identifying archaeological artifacts, including ceramics, which is another subject I recently discussed.

Here is that link to the forth most popular post of 2017.



---

Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.
The surf predictions look very promising for next week.  A north wind is expected too, along with some nice big tides.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net