Monday, January 22, 2018

1/22/18 Report - New Iron Shipwreck Finds. The Secret Treasure. Precautions. Bigger Surf Coming.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Finds From Unidentified Shipwreck North of Treasure Coast.
Yesterday I posted pictures of some 1715 Fleet treasures found not too long ago.  Today I'm posting the above picture of items from an unidentified shipwreck found under the beach north of the Treasure Coast.

Here is the email I received with that photo.

...Thought I would share with you and for your blog as Sunday after a 1 mile walk to my hidden wreck site,it produced a few more pieces of iron. As you recall,this find started after  Hurricane Matthew in 2016 as I retrieved 29 total pieces.I went back searching after Hurricane Irma in 2017 and fetched more bringing my total to 49. After our latest N'easter on Jan 3 2018 I was able finally to make the long mile hike again hoping to add to the mystery.As soon as I hit my area,first iron hit,then another,another.Due to the erosion these were only down around 10 inches or so and still have wood and roots intact as they are now in dirt rather than beach sand...I broke the 50 piece mark as I feel these are all from the same ship.Maybe one day I'll have something more interesting to show like in Today's [ yesterday's] blog....until then it's a waiting game for the next shift of sand.Thanks for all your hard work.

---

Things have changed over the decades.  You can learn a lot from TV and the internet today that would take you forever to discover on your own.

I'm now bored by Gold Rush and Curse of Oak Island, but I've seen some very interesting episodes of Expedition Unknown.  I think it was Friday that I saw episode 4 of season 4, which was about The Secret a book by Byron Preiss that presents a treasure puzzle leading to several actual treasures buried around the country.

Here is how The Secret is described.

...The Secret, a puzzle book published in 1982 by Byron Preiss.  To set up the puzzle, Preiss traveled to 12 locations in North America to secretly bury a dozen ceramic vases, or, as he called them, "casques." Each casque contained a small key that could be redeemed for one of 12 jewels Preiss kept in a safe deposit box in New York. The key to finding the casques was to match one of 12 paintings to one of 12 poetic verses, solve the resulting riddle, and start digging. Since 1982, only two of the 12 casques have been recovered. The first was located in Grant Park, Chicago, in 1983 by a group of students. The second was unearthed in 2004 in Cleveland by two members of the Quest4Treasure forum. Preiss was killed in an auto accident in the summer of 2005, but the hunt for his casques continues. 

The last part of the TV episode on The Secret ended with a search in St Augustine, where they failed to find the treasure.  It could still be there.

---

Things change.  People change too.  I was thinking over my metal detecting years and remembered how I changed.  In the very beginning I was not secretive at all about my finds.  I guess there wasn't much to be secretive about.  I was just picking up mostly modern coins on tourist beaches. 

When I got into finding gold jewelry, that changed.  I was hunting harder and finding a lot.  On top of that, I found out that people would try to claim finds that didn't belong to them.  This was in South Florida where there are a lot of criminals and theft.  That was another reason to be more discreet.  

This is something that I don't like to post about, but it might help somebody.  There is also crime on the Treasure Coast.  Every once in a while a car is broken into at one of the beach parking lots.  I know that happened several times at both John Brooks and Walton Rocks, and I'm sure at other places as well.  I remember reporting a couple years ago about a theft at gun point at Pepper Park.  Be alert, take precautions and don't leave valuables in the car.

---

If you missed yesterday's post showing the 1715 Fleet finds, you'll want to go back and take a look at that.


Surf Prediction for Fort Pierce Area.
Source: MagicSeaWeed.com
The prediction doesn't show the surf being quite as big next weekend now, but the it is showing that the surf will remain high for a longer period of time.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net