Sunday, April 22, 2018

4/22/18 Report - Beach Conditions. Sight Find of Old Brewery Bottle.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Beach Near the Saturday PM Low Tide.
After the higher surf Saturday I went out to see what the beaches were doing.  The first beach I checked was John Brooks.

As you can see above, there were some small scallops and peaks, but the water had not been back very far and it was still pretty sandy.

I skipped Frederick Douglass because I figured it would have been about the same as John Brooks.  For the last year or more those two beaches have been staying about the same.

Blind Creek Beach Saturday PM.
I then took a look at Blind Creek, which was eroded back a few weeks ago.  Where there were substantial cuts back then, there were now only slight dips.  Overall a lot of sand accumulated on this beach in the last few weeks.

I also checked Walton Rocks, but it didn't look very interesting yet.

Fort Pierce South Jetty Beach Saturday PM.
Fort Pierce South Jetty was cut a little.  I think you can see that in the photo above.  But you might also be able to see that they are dumping sand up by the jetty.  Looks like they barely got started with that.  The small cut ran for a hundred yards or more south of where they were working.

So far the higher surf hasn't done much good to these beaches.  The water didn't get very high yet.

---


Thursday I took a little walk to see what I could see at first.  I didn't see much interesting so walked a little farther than normal.  Eventually I found an area where a lot of bottles were buried in the sand.  They were barely visible, but they were there.  I could see tufts of sea grass or moss sticking out of the sand.  That is how I spotted the mostly buried bottles.

It got dark, and I had to give up, but I saw enough that I figured I could find something nice if I came back the next day.  Friday when I got a chance to go, the water was higher and dirty, making visibility very poor.  I could make out a few bottles, but couldn't see them very well, and had to spend a lot of time investigating individual bottles because I couldn't see them good enough to tell if they were junk right away.  If visibility was better, I could have moved much more quickly.  I did find the above old embossed brewery bottle from Rosslyn, Va.

A little research revealed that the Consumer's Brewery Company, as it is embossed, existed from 1895 until 1902, when it became the Arlington Brewing Company.  That makes it older than I originally thought.

I did pick up a couple other things on that walk.  Below is another old bottle that I picked up on that walk.  You can see how it is covered with barnacles and green vegetation.

Old Bottle Covered with Barnacles and Vegetation.
In most cases, the bottles were mostly covered, but I could see the clumps of green that told me something was there.  I already removed part of the vegetation from both of the bottles so I could see them better.  In the water the

---

You might enjoy browsing MainStreetFortPierce.org, which gives some nice history and pictures of old Fort Pierce.

Here is the link.

http://mainstreetfortpierce.org/pdf/MSFocusApr06Web.pdf

---

We're going to have some higher surf.  Here is the chart.


As I said the other day, it looks like neither the wind nor tides will be favorable for beach improvement.  Anytime you get some good surf, there might be some location that improves enough to be worth checking.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net