Wednesday, April 4, 2018

4/4/18 Report - Small Out-Of-The-Way Beaches. Pirate Sam Bellamy's Bones Discovered? Ballast Turned To Stone Tools.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Photo source: FloridaStateParks.org

Besides the ocean beaches, there are other swimming areas that you can find.  They can be small and hidden and much less busy than the ocean beaches.  Those types of beaches were always good to me.

I was reminded of that by some of my old records.  I noticed one entry for Oleta River that recorded three finds for one visit, including one small 14K women's band, 1 small 14K St. Christopher metal, and 18 K post earring.  That was quite a few years ago and I don't think it was then a state park, and if it was, it wasn't developed.  There were no pavilions or anything that I recall, just one small sandy beach and one weedy beach area, and a small fishing pier.  There was a rumored pirate ship sunk not far from there though I never saw any evidence of it.

There was no one there when I detected that beach.  Not a single person.

I was using the modified Nautilus 527 (I think those are the right numbers), which was a super detector.  I think the best I ever had for detecting gold jewelry.

One of the things that you will often find at small beaches like that is a nice sandy beach area, and then not too far away, usually just around the bend, a weedy overgrown beach that looks like it was never used much, if at all.  Those weedy areas have never failed me.  They will usually have some junk, but that always produced at least one piece of gold.

I can think of several small out-of-the-way beaches like that which I detected, and all with good results.

---

Human bones were found in the Cape Code peninsula in Massachusetts where the Whyday Gally ship went down in stormy seas in 1717  Researchers are working to determine if they belong to infamous pirate Samuel "Black Sam" Bellamy...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5407933/Has-body-Captain-Black-Sam-Bellamy-found.html

Thanks to Dean R. for the link.

I seriously doubt that it is Bellamy's body, but interesting story anyhow.

---
... But recent research has also given more insight into how Aboriginal groups used some colonial technology to their advantage, heritage experts say.
Archaeologists believe that indigenous tribes crafted traditional tools from flint cobbles that had been used as ballast on British ships, following the arrival of the convict vessels during the late 18th and early 19th Centuries...

Here is the link or more about that.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43551015

---

I recommend that you read the special post with links to articles about Florida allowing beaches to be controlled by beachfront property owners.  That could mean that the property owners could prevent access to the public.  I posted that yesterday.

That is something that would hurt Florida and the public in general.  Become informed and make your voice heard.  You probably paid for beach renourishment and other erosion control efforts to protect that same property.

---

Today and tomorrow the surf will be only about two feet.  On Friday it will increase to 3 -5 feet, then decrease again.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net