Monday, April 30, 2018

4/30/18 Report - Odyssey Marine Filing For Ownership of SS Mantola. Cookout Big Success. 1715 Fleet Artifacts In Auction.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.


A US marine salvage company that discovered a sunken World War I ship years ago wants to be named owner of the vessel — and the nearly 19 tons of silver bars worth millions of dollars that went down with the ship.

Odyssey Marine Exploration Inc. contends in a new Manhattan lawsuit it used “sophisticated sonar equipment” in 2011 to locate the SS Mantola -- a 450-foot British flagged steamer torpedoed by a German submarine in 1917 as it sailed from London to Calcutta...

The company estimates 536,000 ounces of silver could be on board the ship. Under a 2011 salvage agreement with the UK government, Odyssey was to keep 80 percent of the cargo.

However, that agreement lapsed in September 2015 and the government no longer makes such deals, the suit says. Odyssey is staking its claim for ownership...


Here is that link.

https://nypost.com/2017/04/22/salvage-company-wants-rights-to-shipwrecks-treasure/

---

By all reports, everybody had a great time at the Treasure Hunter's Cookout Saturday.  SuperRick had the following to say

Yesterday, My wife and I got to go to the treasure hunter's cookout.  I missed it last year by a few days. When I saw your post on it this year I wasn't going to miss it! The one thing I love about your blog is that you put out a lot of good information that anybody that wants to hunt the beaches can use! Of course, the one person that I wanted to meet was not there so I could personally thank him for all of the great work that he does on your Blog.

But I did get to meet Terry Shannon and Ed Huffman along with the owners of Booty Salvage with so many others that I can't remember all of their names. The food was great and so was all of those that were there. I know that next year I won't have any problem getting my wife to go there again!

It's been an interesting three months here in Fla. hunting the beaches in south Fla. I never even hunted the treasure beaches because the conditions were not right. The one thing that I've learned from your Blog is that you don't want to waste your time if the conditions are not right!

The funny thing was that I met the owners of Booty Salvage the last time I was in Fla. at Turtle trail park and he remembered me from our meeting!

We are leaving to head back to Vegas on Tuesday so until the next time I hope that you find many treasures whatever they may be!

Thanks again
Rick

---

If you want to know what kind of things you might find on the Treasure Coast if you are real lucky, you can see a number of 1715 Fleet artifacts that are listed in the current Sedwick auction.  They begin with lot number 1599 and extend through lot number 1616.  The series begins with a small section of a gold olive blossom chain, a silver coat-of-arms seal and a gold leaf snuff box.  Also included are several emeralds and other artifacts.

---

SpaceX launches rockets and can now land them so they are reusable.  They can land them on land or on a barge at sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEr9cPpuAx8

---

One fellow told me that he is planning a big experiment.  He'll mark items and ask people to report where and when they find them.


The treasure Treasure Coast salvage season is ramping up and will get into high speed before long.


The biggest surf we'll see in the next several days is a three - five foot surf that is predicted for Tuesday through Thursday.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net