Friday, April 26, 2019

4/26/19 Report - Artifact Find Initiates Journey of Discovery. Cannon Aprons. Good Resources.


Written by the TreasrueGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Folded Lead Find From Treasure Coast Beach

This lead find has been sitting around for a while and I never thought of it being anything but a piece of lead sheathing, however after seeing some examples of cannon aprons, I decided I should take a better look at it.  

There is more to the piece than you can see.  It is tightly folded over a couple of times, which isn't like the other lead sheathing that I've found,  It looks like it could have been deliberately folded rather than simply crumpled by the wrecking or surf.

I found some photos of a cannon apron that came from the Queen Anne's Revenge.   That started me on a journey of discovery and learning.

The qaronline.org website says,

Sheets of lead with “fingers” were used to cover the touch hole of a cannon, protecting the powder and the fuse from water spraying into the gun ports. Lead is malleable and could be formed to the shape of the cannon barrel, while the fingers could be bent to create a tight fit around the breech of the cannon. A hole on either edge of the apron would fit a lash to keep the apron tied in place.


The same web site provides the following photo of a salvaged cannon apron.

'

In the case of the photo shown immediately above, the holes would be on the right and left sides. You can clearly see the hole on the right side.

You can also see what could be the "fingers" on the upper side of the apron in the photo. It looks like the middle finger is broken off or bent.

Although I'm far from concluding that my find is a cannon apron, I've at least learned that there is such a thing.

I discovered another very interesting resource.  It is a thesis presented to East Carolina University by Laura Kate Schnitzer - APRONS OF LEAD: EXAMINATION OF AN ARTIFACT ASSEMBLAGE FROM THE QUEEN ANNE’S REVENGE SHIPWRECK SITE.

This is a very interesting and informative thesis.  You might not want to read the entire thesis, but you will undoubtedly find sections that you do want to read.  It is well worth scanning.

The thesis presents the picture below showing a cannon apron in place on a cannon.



Cannon aprons come in different sizes and shaped depending in part upon the cannon.

The QAR apron illustrated above has a variety of scratched or etched markings on it.  Here is a picture in which those markings are drawn to make them easier to see.

Source: qaronline.org web site.
See link QAR link above.
The thesis discussed those markings and what they might indicate.  Some were thought to be superstitious marks for good-luck or protection.  That discussion makes for some interesting reading.

I recommend at least browsing the thesis for several reasons.  For one thing, it presents an evolution of artillery through the centuries.  It presents a lot of information in addition to what you'll learn about cannon aprons, including a very good bibliography.  It also illustrates a more academic approach to artifact interpretation that expands on some of my previous comments and criticisms of what I've called the "free association" method that you might have seen on TV.   There is a lot of academic jargon and maybe a lot that you won't find interesting, but you can skip the parts that don't like.  I'm sure you will find something that does interest you.

Here is the link.

http://thescholarship.ecu.edu/bitstream/handle/10342/3842/Schnitzer_ecu_0600M_10612.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Back to my find.   Even though I've had it for a while, I have not yet really studied it.  Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to unfold it.  Whether I do that or not, I plan to look at the object more closely.

Digging up an object is one discovery, but a found object can become much more interesting when you do the research and really study it.  

---

I am highly supportive or archaeology, but have also commented on some of the problems created by some of the more radical members of the profession.  Here is a link to a post I once did on that subject.

https://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2018/02/22518-report-problem-with-archaeology.html

---

Jensen Beach As Seen a Couple Days Ago.
Photo by Mike A.
Mike said there was nothing but some crusty pennies.

---

The surf is running around two or three feet.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net