Saturday, April 6, 2019

4/6/19 Report - 16th Century Shipwreck. Reader Firsts. Scientific Approach To Treasure Hunting.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Copper Sheets From 16th Century Shipwreck.
Source: See nltimes link below.

Researchers found a Dutch shipwreck from early in the 16th century while cleaning up containers that went overboard from the MSC Zoe on New Year's eve. This is the oldest shipwreck ever discovered in Dutch waters, the National Cultural Heritage Agency said on Wednesday...

During the container salvage operation, copper plates and wooden beams were found. An archeological investigation was immediately launched. According to the Cultural Heritage Agency, the wooden beams came from a ship with a smooth hull that was likely around 30 meters long. The wood was further examined and this revealed that it was felled in 1536 and that the ship was built in the Netherlands around 1540. It sank while transporting copper plates.
Investigation into the copper plates dated them to around the same period. An interesting detail is that the plates are marked by the Fugger family, who had a monopoly on copper production in the 16th century. "The find is of very high cultural and archeological value", the Cultural Heritage Agency said...
Here is the link.



I had this article for a few days but put it on hold to discuss some other things first.

---

I like to find different kinds of things.  Some seem special.  There was my first ring, my first Rolex watch, my first Spanish treasure coin, and my first gold nugget, to name just a few.  I often mention reader firsts.  Last month DJ experienced some firsts and shared them with me in an email.  Here is what he said.

... I have decided that your blog is an encyclopedia of information, much of which I was able to use in March. Thank you for sharing this information, it makes the hobby all the more rewarding.  

A list of firsts: First time I found lots of targets, jewelry, first silver ring, green clad lying on top of the sand and first square copper/brass nail. 

Also helpful were the strategy of reading the beach, checking, making myself check another beach if things are not too good where I am. Many examples exist and were put into play this trip...

Congratulations on so many firsts in such a short time DJ.   Many more to come!

I'm delighted that you are making such good use of the blog.

There were others who recently sent me emails of thanks.  I sincerely appreciate them all.  It keeps me going.

Thanks guys!

In a world filled with so much discord and hate, I'm encouraged daily by the fine kind people I meet through the blog. 

---

Coming from a scientific background, it was only natural that I would bring a scientific attitude to my metal detecting and treasure hunting.  While a treasure hunter will usually not want to conduct any kind of formal scientific experiments, adopting a "scientific" approach is recommended.  To a large extent that means being abundantly cautious, systematic, thorough, disciplined, reserving judgement, and highly valuing evidence, or data.

There is a lot more to science than laboratories, test tubes and experiments.  Science requires a number of traits and attitudes. It requires a real desire to understand, creativity, objectivity, logic and skepticism.

That might sound like a lot, but you undoubtedly already possess and use some of those traits, and others can be developed and improved.

I can't do a comprehensive treatment of the subject in one post, or even a lot of posts, but I'll discuss some things that I've found very helpful and recommend that you at least consider them.

You'll often see someone make a find and without any serious thought or study, proclaim what the item is.  There are usually a variety of possibilities that should be considered.  I always like to try to think of as many alternative explanations as I can.  It is important to develop theories and hypothesis, which can be tested or evaluated.

They say, "You don't know what you don't know," but I know a lot of things I don't know.  It is important to have an awareness of what you don't know. A scientific approach requires having a deep respect for  how much you don't know.  I wouldn't want to have brain surgery conducted by a podiatrist.  Over-confidence can be deadly literally as well as figuratively.

No matter what you think of the TV treasure shows, they provide a lot of examples and illustrations that many of us have seen and can discuss.  Sometimes you will see a hap-hazard, disorganized, poorly considered approach.  They look here and look there and find this and that, most of which has no significance, and come up with conclusions that are little more than wild speculation.  That creates drama, which is something a TV show must do, but for me, it is not the way to solve a problem.  That is the reason I am so critical at times.

A number of seasons ago on Gold Rush, Parker finally got Tony to drill some test holes to sample some ground.  I thought, its about time.  Sampling is a scientific strategy that I use all the time in a different form.  It is a systematic method of collecting data.  That is just one of many examples.

Don't get me wrong.  A skilled professional who has tons of experience on a specific type of activity can be successful without all the stuff I am talking about today.  My father-in-law was in coal mining his entire life and could tell by just looking at the land where there was going to be good coal.  There is no substitute for that type of experience. You can find that type of experience and skill on the Treasure Coast.

A more scientific approach used by a relative novice will lose to vast professional experience every-time.  However, I believe anyone who wants to and makes the effort can benefit by taking a more scientific approach.  It will dramatically increase the learning curve for the less experienced and prevent costly mistakes and increase efficiency for those who are already skilled.

Taking a scientific approach is not a quick path to success.  Neither can it replace long hard work.  It will help though.  In some cases it might be absolutely necessary - depending upon what you want to accomplish.

Some people will not be interested at all in a scientific approach.  For some, it just will not mesh with their personality, philosophy or goals.

Some people are just out for a little relaxation.  Some people like to go by feel or hunch.  That is fine.   And if you disagree with everything I just said, that is fine too.

I haven't even began to scratch the surface on this topic and may or may not get into more detail in the future.  I suspect I will from time to time.

---

We now have a slightly negative low tide.  Other than that there is not much change to report concerning beach conditions.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net