Saturday, August 24, 2019

8/24/19 Report - Two Weather Systems to Watch. Changing Times and Changing Finds.


Written by the Treasureguide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Source: nhc.noaa.gov
The National Hurricane Center map is becoming more active in our part of the world.  

The area of low pressure over Florida has a 70%  chance of becoming a cyclone.  It is predicted to move north and out into the Atlantic.  I'd say there is not much chance that it will affect us very much.

The other system is heading west/northwest, but I don't think it will affect us much either, but there is still a lot of time for it to change.

Still, it is that time of year and I'll be watching for something that might improve beach detecting conditions.

The Treasure Coast surf is supposed to be up to three feet today but nothing higher than two feet for the next week or so.

---

How things have changed!  And it didn't take long.

I came across some photos of a something you'll probably never see again.  It was a circus parade that came down main street when I was young..





I remember going out to the field where they were going to set up and watching the elephants being used to put up the poles to hold the big tent.

That doesn't happen any more.  It is something children today will never see again.

Its amazing how much has changed in my lifetime, and even during the years that I've been detecting.

There was a time when you'd find a lot of the ring type pull tabs.  Now they aren't too common.

Its amazing really.

I remember when we first got a TV and there was only on program, which came on in the evening for one hour.  Friends of the family would come over to watch it.

Gold and jewelry fashions have changed too.  Now you get a lot of rings made of materials like tungsten or stainless steel, which I didn't find twenty years ago.

Even gold changed.  Recently there was a lot more white gold.  It seems that yellow gold is coming back now.

Of course the internet changed a lot of things.  I think the metal detecting community is generally much more informed now.  And it is a great research tool.

I found tons of hotel keys in the past.  They are not nearly as common today.  Many hotels are now using the magnetic cards.

I also used to find a lot of arcade or game room tokens - also transportation tokens ie bus, turnpike, and other types of tokens.

Circus Token Dug on Florida Beach.


Here is a very nice pdf on the history of early gaming tokens.

http://www.ccgtcc-ccn.com/tokens.pdf

Silver modern coins were more common finds too.

I also used to get a lot more of the WW II shells than I have in recent years.

Also soda bottle caps used to litter some beaches.  We still have bottle tops to contend with, but not so much from soda bottles.

The same for glass soda bottles, which are now mostly plastic.

And one thing I found recently that I never found way back when is a smart phone.  I did find a few beepers back some years ago, if you remember those now.

All of the older things can still be found today if you find a good site or we get some improvement in beach conditions.

I'm sure I could think of some more changes in the last thirty or so years of metal detecting.  Maybe you can add some to my list.


That one system has a chance of developing in a few days.


Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net