Friday, January 10, 2020

1/10/20 Report - Treasure Coast Beach Metal Detecting Conditions Rating Increase. Broward Shell Show This Weekend.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

John Brooks Beach Friday.


I took a look at a few beaches today and did some detecting.  To get to the most important thing first, I'm increasing my beach detecting conditions rating to a solid 2.  Since I only looked at a few beaches, and they were all on South Hutchinson Island, I'm being conservative.   If I knew some of the other beaches improved also, I might issue a 3 rating.  I suspect they did but don't have that information yet.


John Brooks Beach Friday Just Before Low Tide.


If you've been following this blog very long, you know my rating scale is a five point rating scale.  A 1 rating indicates a very low probability of finding shipwreck coins or artifacts, while a 5 rating indicates a very good chance of finding shipwreck coins or artifacts.  I've broken it down more finely in the past.  A 2 is a transitional rating indicating improved conditions and a better chance of finding old shipwreck items, but they won't in my opinion  be very abundant.

My first stop today was John Brooks.  There was some good erosion, especially to the north.  Up by where the old Christmas Tree used to be and beyond, some of the cuts were about six feet high.


John Brooks Beach Friday.
Looks like some water on the lens blurred the cuts some.

There were good numbers of modern coins scattered widely on John Brooks, along with some EOs and some currently uncleaned and unidentified objects.

Next I stopped at Frederick Douglass, which was not as cut.  One of the cast members of the Oak Island TV show was just leaving.


Frederick Douglass Beach Friday Before Low Tide.

I did some detecting there and hit both silver and gold - both modern.  Frederick Douglass did not have such nice cuts as John Brooks.

I did more actual metal detecting than I've done in a long time.  I probably put in a couple of hours of swinging.  I haven't been able to do that for quite a while.


Frederick Douglass Beach Friday.

I then took a look at Walton Rocks to see what was going on down that way.  Nothing much.

So then I took a look at the beach to the North of John Brooks, up by the condos.


Beach in Front of the Condos to the North of John Brooks.

Looking Back Towards John Brooks From the Condos.

I can't help think of times when the beaches were back one or two hundred yards from where they are these days.  There is actually a concrete foundation that was exposed on the beach back in the eighties or nineties down in the area where you see the people in the photo immediately above.  It would be under all that sand to the west of them.

That was something I was thinking about yesterday too.  I stopped at Round Island and remembered where the beach was back years ago.   Now it is a good hundred yards to the east.  There is so much renourishment sand up and down the coast these days.

Yesterday I mentioned Wabasso Beach being closed and the sign which said that it would be closed until Jan. 20.   I also mentioned that I didn't read the entire sign.  JP says the sign says, "Closed for Emergency Nourishment." 

He also said, They dumping truck after truck of sand on the beach. It's my understanding that they are doing Sea Grape as well. Not sure if they going as far south as Turtle but I'm sure at some point they are. 😭.

Thanks,
JP


Thank you, JP.

---

I want to get this beach conditions upgrade posted, but have one more timely thing to tell you about.

The Broward Shell Club will be having the Annual Broward Shell Show on January 11 - 12, 2020 at the Emma Lou Olson Civic Center, 1801 NE St., Pompano Beach, Florida, 33061.

I know some of you are shell collectors.  Here are a couple links.




https://browardshellclub.org/

---

The surf is expected to decrease only a very small amount tomorrow.  It looks like the swells will not change direction much.

Happy hunting,
TreasureGuide@comcast.net